Pump Is Getting Too Hot

make_shift

after about 1-2 hours on re-circulation,pump is kicking out on thermal, it's very hot to touch, I shut off breaker, wait a half hour and try again, it works, and sometimes kicks out again, I think it might be the filter...is there anything else I can try?

It would be really helpful to know what make/model/year tub you have and info from the circ pump plate. However, some common things to check include debris in the impeller, corrosion and a bad capacitor. At this point, I can't tell if you have a small Laing circ pump or one of the 48 frame circ pumps, so that's the best I can do for now.

John

I have a hydropool 638, it's a vintage 1998, the pump is 2 stage, circ is stage 1 and stage 2 is jets, the pump is original, I just changed the pump seal this year, it seems if I put a new filter in, it works for a few weeks, then the same thing happens, not sure what the cap does for the motor, could it be the cap?

I have a hydropool 638, it's a vintage 1998, the pump is 2 stage, circ is stage 1 and stage 2 is jets, the pump is original, I just changed the pump seal this year, it seems if I put a new filter in, it works for a few weeks, then the same thing happens, not sure what the cap does for the motor, could it be the cap?

oh, it's a 5hp 230v, ultrajet pump

oh, it's a 5hp 230v, ultrajet pump

OK, then you do not have what we call a circ pump. I get the picture now. If the pump seals you changed out were really bad, you've probably got a bad bearing and/or other motor problems causing a drag. You can do a capacitance test on the caps, but I suspect you'll really have to replace the motor.

John

I have seen well insulated tubs in the past kick out from thermal overload because of overheating inside the cabinet. Relatively high outside ambient air temps, hight humidity and tub water temp all play a part in this problem. The pump motor, of course, generates alot of heat on it's own, and when the air temp is high, the air vents are not enough to remove the excess heat from the cabinet. To test this, let the tub run for a day or 2 with the cabinet door removed or somehow propped open (be sure to protect the electronics from the rain) . If the problem goes away, then bob's yer uncle.

If this solves your problem, then try adding a fan inside the cabinet when the door is closed to help remove excess heat, or try changing the filter cycles and reduce the water temp.

Good luck.

thanks for the replies, I will try a couple of things, upon further reading, this is an excellent explanation of the caps and what they do for the motor

http://books.google.ca/books?id=fb04YPy-XI...tor&f=false

I have 2 pumps that both have caps, I will have to verify they are both identical in the 2 pumps, I will swap them, and if thermal still trips out, I will try to leave some opening (a bit worried about how long I leave the door open for, with rain and vermon...)

hopefully somebody will also find this helpful, I will report back the results.