Shopping For A Jacuzzi J-480

pLaF

Hello everyone,

Ive been trying to get info for the past 2 weeks on forums or/and website regarding what to look for in a new SPA.

I live in Quebec, Canada and I have no clue what to expect in my shopping spree for my new SPA.

I myself am a sales representative but not into the SPA. Now I know that it should be negotiable but how far can I bring it down for the best price?? That's a question I need a answer ASAP!

Ive noticed that this forum is pretty old...with some topics from 2006 and so on. I'm still hopping to get help here.

Here is the quote I received :

Jacuzzi Model : J-480

Feature : Audio System with iPod Docking Station

Accessories included :

- Cover

- Step

- Installation

- Delivery

- GFCI (Can someone explain to me whats that? :/ Some kind of electrical panel?)

Price of the J-480: 13 499$

Delivery 250$

Lift for the cover (I need a lift apparently) Supposed to be 499$ go it to 125$

Sub total : 13 874$

TPS 693.70$

TVQ 1 092,58$

Final price : 15 660,28$

Now to be honest with you all, I'm new to the spa shopping and I really need some help.

Salesrep told me the base price is 18 499$ before taxes and accessories ... and I don't know if he is telling me the truth.

Thats about it . Thanks a lot everyone.

P.S. Can anyone tell me if this SPA is actually worth it? I mean did anyone have good or bad feedback on that specific model?

Thanks again.

I just bought a new J-480 which will be delivered in a couple days. You have nothing to worry about, Jacuzzi makes a quality product, and the 480 is their flagship.

Your price doesn't seem too bad, but I have to ask what model year it is? Is it a 2009 model?

The reason I ask is because you describe the stereo as an "audio system with ipod docking station".

My 2009 model also has the stereo option, which is the JBL J-1000 system. If I am correct, this is the current model year's stereo option, and last year's model had a different version that had the stereo unit mounted on one side of the main access panel, and the ipod docking station was mounted on the other side. I might be wrong though.

If it is a 2009 model WITH the J-1000 stereo, you are getting a very good price on it. It is is a 2008 model, I can't comment.

GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. A ground fault circuit interrupter is a safety device to protect against electrical shock by cutting off the flow of electricity when there is even a slight stray of current leakage. It can be installed in your main electrical panel, or, more commonly, installed in a separate small panel of its own mounted outside, near the hot tub. It is a must-have with a hot tub. They are rather pricey, so getting one included even makes your deal that much better.

I just bought a new J-480 which will be delivered in a couple days. You have nothing to worry about, Jacuzzi makes a quality product, and the 480 is their flagship.

Your price doesn't seem too bad, but I have to ask what model year it is? Is it a 2009 model?

The reason I ask is because you describe the stereo as an "audio system with ipod docking station".

My 2009 model also has the stereo option, which is the JBL J-1000 system. If I am correct, this is the current model year's stereo option, and last year's model had a different version that had the stereo unit mounted on one side of the main access panel, and the ipod docking station was mounted on the other side. I might be wrong though.

If it is a 2009 model WITH the J-1000 stereo, you are getting a very good price on it. It is is a 2008 model, I can't comment.

GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. A ground fault circuit interrupter is a safety device to protect against electrical shock by cutting off the flow of electricity when there is even a slight stray of current leakage. It can be installed in your main electrical panel, or, more commonly, installed in a separate small panel of its own mounted outside, near the hot tub. It is a must-have with a hot tub. They are rather pricey, so getting one included even makes your deal that much better.

Thanks a lot for the info! I'm pretty happy that someone respond to that :) (Hopping there's more ;D )

There's something interesting there...I really don't know what year it is! The brochure doesn't say anything about the year! Actually, the rep told me it was on the one that is making the display right now in store (they only have one left...so ya, it's the "demo"). By the way, am I supposed to have a better deal if it's a 2008? :P

I'm glad about the GFCI (Thanks for the definition :D )

What about the "ground" ? How's your setup outside? Anything special I should know about the installation or they pretty much "should" take care of that?

Again, thank you very much :)

My tub is going on my cement patio. It will be your responsibility to ensure you have a flat, level, and sturdy enough of a base to install your tub on. Obviously the best is concrete pad, but there are other acceptable alternatives. Speak with your dealer to see what they recommend, or search around the internet to see some ideas of what other people do.

You will also need to have electrical service tun to the tub, including the GFCI. Again, this is typically something you will have to arrange on your own, however your dealer may be able to refer you to a local electrician.

Basically, if you buy the tub, they will deliver it to your home, set it in place, fill it with water, and help you with the chemical startup. They expect the "ground" (base) to be ready when they deliver it. Usually the electrical is also setup and ready to connect to the tub at the same time, however most dealers will not actually make the electrical connections, that will be up to you or your electrician.

My tub is going on my cement patio. It will be your responsibility to ensure you have a flat, level, and sturdy enough of a base to install your tub on. Obviously the best is concrete pad, but there are other acceptable alternatives. Speak with your dealer to see what they recommend, or search around the internet to see some ideas of what other people do.

You will also need to have electrical service tun to the tub, including the GFCI. Again, this is typically something you will have to arrange on your own, however your dealer may be able to refer you to a local electrician.

Basically, if you buy the tub, they will deliver it to your home, set it in place, fill it with water, and help you with the chemical startup. They expect the "ground" (base) to be ready when they deliver it. Usually the electrical is also setup and ready to connect to the tub at the same time, however most dealers will not actually make the electrical connections, that will be up to you or your electrician.

Hi again, thanks for the reply.

Do you suggest to have that J-480 on a separate electricity panel?

I think ill put some dust or maybe big stones, going to go shop for that today.

Have you heard about the Salt System? My deal said it was 799$ and that this has not been tested on a long term. Have you heard any good or back feedback regarding the Salt? What do you suggest? Whats the difference?

I asked my dealer, it is a 2009 model and its the display in the store.

What should I do as for the negociation? Did you deal more on your SPA price or should I aim more on the accessories?

Thanks again, very appreciated! :)

That's a pretty good price on a 2009 J-480. Does it have the new JBL J-1000 stereo?

Yes, it is highly recommended to run a separate sub panel to your spa, with the GFCI.

Make sure to check with the dealer about your base, you don't want it to shift. Some places sell a plastic pad that you can place down over level ground.

I don't know much about the salt systems...perhaps ask in the water chemistry section. Most people seem go with Chlorine or Bromine.

That's a pretty good price on a 2009 J-480. Does it have the new JBL J-1000 stereo?

Yes, it is highly recommended to run a separate sub panel to your spa, with the GFCI.

Make sure to check with the dealer about your base, you don't want it to shift. Some places sell a plastic pad that you can place down over level ground.

I don't know much about the salt systems...perhaps ask in the water chemistry section. Most people seem go with Chlorine or Bromine.

It is? Ya I do have the sound system with some kind of waterproof remote! :)

I saw the pad you're talking about on the website, I still need my ground leveled.

Ill ask in the chemistry section, thanks.

How fast is the delivery ?