Peroxysan

Wannago

While I have a deposit down on a D1 Lotus Bay, I stopped by the local Arctic Spa dealer today to check out their offerings.

I have to admit, I am now somewhat torn between these 2 manufactureers, but that's a topic for another thread...

The Arctic salesman, who was very nice and extremely knowledgable, showed me one of their tubs they had up 'n running, that was using a chemical called "Peroxysan".

The way he described it to me made it sound VERY easy to use:

With a fresh fill of water, basically add half a jug (2 litres) to the tub.

Once a week, add 1 litre.

After heavy use (3-4 people or more, 2 people for an hour, etc.), add 1 litre after use.

That's it!

He said his water stays clean and clear, and always tests ok, but he has only been using it himself for the last couple months. He also said a dealer he knows in B.C. has been using it in his tub for the past 22 months without a water change.

The water in the floor model did have a nice soft feel to it and no odor whatsoever.

It isn't cheap...$169.00 for a case (approx 3-4 months supply)

Apparently it is a relatively new product - Canadian made.

www.peroxysan.com

Thoughts?

It's described here (same as the link you gave) and it's just hydrogen peroxide. This is an oxidizer, not a strong sanitizer. It is usually used as the oxidizer when using Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB as a sanitizer. You are at greater risk of hot tub itch or other bacterial infections if you use this product. For hydrogen peroxide to kill pathogens quickly enough, it has to be at such high levels that it would be irritating to you and that's not the level used in this particular system (so it's not as effective a sanitizer as chlorine, bromine, Baqua or MPS with silver ion such as from N2).

It's described here (same as the link you gave) and it's just hydrogen peroxide. This is an oxidizer, not a strong sanitizer. It is usually used as the oxidizer when using Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB as a sanitizer. You are at greater risk of hot tub itch or other bacterial infections if you use this product. For hydrogen peroxide to kill pathogens quickly enough, it has to be at such high levels that it would be irritating to you and that's not the level used in this particular system (so it's not as effective a sanitizer as chlorine, bromine, Baqua or MPS with silver ion such as from N2).

Thanks chem geek.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My Name is Robin Knight and I am the owner of the Arctic Spas dealership in Halifax, NS. I have been selling Peroxysan since March.09. The product has been a great success for over 200 customers this year. Yes there have been some customers that have had issues at the start, but after trouble shooting they have been succussful with the product. The claim by the above customer that Peroxysan is "snake oil" is unfair. This product is great for people who have skin sensitivites to chlorine and bromine. It is odourless and soft on the skin. If this product does not work then I must be foolish to be ordering in a pallet per month of peroxysan.

If this product did not work for you, then thats fine, I have more than compensated you for this.

I am not looking for a response from this Chris, I just want people to understand that there are two sides to evey story.

If anyone has questions concerning this product please feel free to contact me via e-mail robin@whitecedarsaunas.com

Happy Hot Tubbing!

Robin Knight

Arctic Spas Halifax

Robin, please re-read Chem Geek's post here:

As he states hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer, but NOT a strong sanitizer. In order to have a save tub you need to have a strong sanitizer (i.e. Chlorine, Bromine etc) in the tub at all times to kill pathogens. Hydrogen peroxide will not kill them fast enough to stop person to person transmission. That means they are at much greater risk of getting sick.

Bottom line: dispite the limited success of some of your customers, hydrogen peroxide by itself is not safe to use as a sanitizer, and BTW is not approved by the FDA to use in public Pools/Spas. If I were you I would seriously reconsider promoting any such type of method. Chlorine, bromine, Baqua or MPS with silver ion such as from N2 are the only truly safe methods of sanitation to date. Everything else is just plain risky.

My Name is Robin Knight and I am the owner of the Arctic Spas dealership in Halifax, NS. I have been selling Peroxysan since March.09. The product has been a great success for over 200 customers this year. Yes there have been some customers that have had issues at the start, but after trouble shooting they have been succussful with the product. The claim by the above customer that Peroxysan is "snake oil" is unfair. This product is great for people who have skin sensitivites to chlorine and bromine. It is odourless and soft on the skin. If this product does not work then I must be foolish to be ordering in a pallet per month of peroxysan.

If this product did not work for you, then thats fine, I have more than compensated you for this.

I am not looking for a response from this Chris, I just want people to understand that there are two sides to evey story.

If anyone has questions concerning this product please feel free to contact me via e-mail robin@whitecedarsaunas.com

Happy Hot Tubbing!

Robin Knight

Arctic Spas Halifax

Robin, please re-read Chem Geek's post here:

As he states hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer, but NOT a strong sanitizer. In order to have a save tub you need to have a strong sanitizer (i.e. Chlorine, Bromine etc) in the tub at all times to kill pathogens. Hydrogen peroxide will not kill them fast enough to stop person to person transmission. That means they are at much greater risk of getting sick.

Bottom line: dispite the limited success of some of your customers, hydrogen peroxide by itself is not safe to use as a sanitizer, and BTW is not approved by the FDA to use in public Pools/Spas. If I were you I would seriously reconsider promoting any such type of method. Chlorine, bromine, Baqua or MPS with silver ion such as from N2 are the only truly safe methods of sanitation to date. Everything else is just plain risky.

+1

I don't want to go into the details for the thousandth time...but I know from experience that peroxide does not work. Just search my posts.

you are kidding yourself if you think it's gonna be ok....but hey....it's your hide!

Hello all'

I tried Peroxysan in my new (used) tub and it was a total NIGHTMARE!!

The sales guy at the Arctic Spa place really talked the product up and even went so far as to tell me my tub would be better off if I used Peroxysan and disconnected my ozone system. I gave the Peroxysan a try and have had nothing but problems with it.

First off it costs over $150.00 to get four four-litre jugs of the stuff and you have to use 1/4 of the supply as soon as the tub is filled. The dealer was vague on how much to add on a daily/weekly basis, but I discovered I had to add about a litre to two litres a week. At this rate my chemicals costs would run me about $150 - $200 a month using Peroxysan, who can afford that? What a nightmare for my wallet, and the results were a disaster.

After the first week with Peroxysan in the tub all sorts of while 'floaties' started appearing in the water and the water was constantly smellin 'off'. The dealer said that was due to organic contaminants left in the lines when we had draining the tub. He recommend we dump an entire container of powdered chlorine shock into the tub & drain it. He obvious never tried this himself !

Peroxysan and chlorine DO NOT MIX WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The water turned a putrid foggy yellow and the smell was noxious. I let the chlorine do its thing for 12 hours and then drained the tub and filled it again with clean water and added another 4 litres of Peroxysan. Everything looked good and smelled fine until the kids (teens) had 5 friends over to sit in the hottub for an hour one evening. The following morning the water smelled terrible and the Peroxysan showed non-existent on the test-strip. I had to add ANOTHER 4 litres (1 gallon) of Peroxysan and wait 2 days before the water cleared and the smell went away. I never had to monitor my tub and add so much chemical after only one used before in my life. Peroxysan is a light weight product that is not practical to use in the real world. It might be ok if you had only 1 or 2 people using the spa once a week but for anything else Peroxysan is a total failure !!! We have had such limited use of our spa since we got the Peroxysan that I am totally and completely disgusted with the product and results.

In my opinion Peroxysan is only good for one thing - To make money for the hottub dealer !!! I heard all sorts of success stories from the dealer about how many happy customers he had using the stuff but I am afraid the truth may have been stretched a little bit if my experience is anything to go by.

To give the local dealer some credit though, he did do the right thing when I complained about how much money I had spent on the Peroxysan and how disappointed I was with it. He set me up with a complete set of Bromine chemicals at no charge.

I refilled the tub last night and added the bromine. When I opened the lid this morning I was greeted by some more cloudy yellow soup. Again, Peroxysan and bromine do NOT MIX !!! The Peroxysan residue left in the lines was enough to contaminate all 2000 litres of water again. I am draining and rinsing the spa again and I hope to have it back up & running with clean water using Bromine by tonight.

Peroxysan is snake oil as far as I am concerned and is not a viable product to be used in spas or tubs in the real world. I would love to hear from anyone who uses Peroxysan and is happy with it. Maybe they could point out where(if) I went wrong using it? Has anyone else tried it and had similar disappointing results?

Thanks for your ears (and eyes).

Chris

Halifax, NS

Canada

Happy Hot Tubbing!

Robin Knight

Arctic Spas Halifax

Robin,

I am absolutely THRILLED with the Bromine setup that you geared me up with. The tub is working fantastic and the water is clear and odor free. I want to thank you again for the great service and help with getting the tub fixed up and working. My earlier post is simply my observation of the Peroxysan system in my tub and as you state, it works well for some and not others. I guess I am one of the others. The Bromine is easy to balance and with the Ozonator working we have fantastic water quality and no problems.

Everyone else,

Robin Knight from Arctic Spas Halifax is a FANTASTIC dealer. I bought a used spa from him and he has spent hours and numerous service calls on fixing small problems for me at no additional charge. His service is always top notch and he is an honest straight shooter. I have and will continue to recommend Robin and Arctic Spas Halifax to all of my friends. I did not mean to slight him or Arctic Spas in any way with my previous post but simply wanted to relate my less than satisfactory experience with Peroxysan as a chemical solution for my tub. I look forward to reading more posts on the forum from other users of the product.

Robin, maybe you can mention the forum to some users who are happy with Peroysan and have them relate their experiences?

Cheers,

Chris

Halifax

Robin,

I am absolutely THRILLED with the Bromine setup that you geared me up with. The tub is working fantastic and the water is clear and odor free. I want to thank you again for the great service and help with getting the tub fixed up and working. My earlier post is simply my observation of the Peroxysan system in my tub and as you state, it works well for some and not others. I guess I am one of the others. The Bromine is easy to balance and with the Ozonator working we have fantastic water quality and no problems.

Everyone else,

Robin Knight from Arctic Spas Halifax is a FANTASTIC dealer. I bought a used spa from him and he has spent hours and numerous service calls on fixing small problems for me at no additional charge. His service is always top notch and he is an honest straight shooter. I have and will continue to recommend Robin and Arctic Spas Halifax to all of my friends. I did not mean to slight him or Arctic Spas in any way with my previous post but simply wanted to relate my less than satisfactory experience with Peroxysan as a chemical solution for my tub. I look forward to reading more posts on the forum from other users of the product.

Robin, maybe you can mention the forum to some users who are happy with Peroysan and have them relate their experiences?

Cheers,

Chris

Halifax

I don't dispute Robin is an honest dealer. I personally have no way to know one way or the other. I'm just referring to using Peroxide to sanitize your tub. Forget that some people have had limited success with it. It just means they are lucky. I'm sure there are far more people that have issues with it, than success.

The bottom line is, Hydrogen Peroxide is not an effective sanitizer and just plain risky to use as one. It's just like smoking. You may go for years without problems, but that doesn't mean it's not bad for you. Hydrogen Peroxide is not an approved sanitizer by the FDA for a reason, because it doesn't work well enough to be safe.