San Diego, Ca Pool Builder

Hello everybody! I am planning to build a pool on my yard and was wonderin if anybody can help or give an advice on how the process works in CA. I would appreciate if there is a resource to find all the subcontractors for every phases of design and/or construction. Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi, I'm in the same process. I am currently talking and getting referrals from pool cleaning people in my neighborhood. So far, what I've noticed is that everyone subcontracts, but some are better at standing behind their work than others. I know that price matters, but do not get suckered into a cheap pool company, because in the end, you'll end up paying for it. (This happened to my neighbor)

Good Luck, and I'll keep checking your posts as well. Anyone out there have info on chlorine v. salt water pools - pros and cons - I'd appreciate it that as well.

i think sundancer is a good company based in escondido . i service a few pools that they have built and it seems like they do good work and they dont install any cheap crap equipment that some builders like to do . use to be a company called poolscape 2000 not sure if they are still around but they did a kind of owner builder thing that gave you the backing of a builder with the price of a home owner hiring subs themselves . not sure exactly how it worked but the subs are more likley to do a good job and solve any problem knowing that a builder is going to build more pools and a home owner usually builds one in a life time . theres also mission pools and mission valley pool and spa that build nice ones .

Thanks Jughead.

I just talked to Mission Pools and they do all of their own work - no subcontractors. They've also been around for 30+ years, so this company sounds good.

I spoke with Sandpiper as well. Family owned and operated. They do use contractors, but stand behind them 100% as they have worked with them for a long time. Also a company that has been around for years. Uses top notch equipment for their pool & spas.

Any other names out there in the San Diego area would be appreciated. I'm trying to get a ball park figure with a few estimates and referrals.

Thanks Jughead.

I just talked to Mission Pools and they do all of their own work - no subcontractors. They've also been around for 30+ years, so this company sounds good.

I spoke with Sandpiper as well. Family owned and operated. They do use contractors, but stand behind them 100% as they have worked with them for a long time. Also a company that has been around for years. Uses top notch equipment for their pool & spas.

Any other names out there in the San Diego area would be appreciated. I'm trying to get a ball park figure with a few estimates and referrals.

• 3 weeks later...

A word of caution. We had Mission Pools build a pool for us and most of the process was OK, but the plaster turned out horrible. Two of their own staff people commented on how bad it is when the pool was first completed, and now we cannot get them to take care of it. They promise a multi-year warranty, and now we do not get any answers as to how they plan to resolve it.

A word of caution. We had Mission Pools build a pool for us and most of the process was OK, but the plaster turned out horrible. Two of their own staff people commented on how bad it is when the pool was first completed, and now we cannot get them to take care of it. They promise a multi-year warranty, and now we do not get any answers as to how they plan to resolve it.

Hi Trumpy,

What type of plaster did they use and what makes it look horrible? We had our pool built three years ago and went with 3M Color Quartz. The finish didn't look "even" and we could see variations in the shade of the plaster. I've been told from several pool owners and Plaster companies that this is normal. Just wondering if maybe this is what you're experiencing.

• 2 weeks later...