Hydrogen Peroxide

vincent

I seem to be getting an itch from the spa.

I would like to change from chlorine to Hydrogen Peroxide (HP)

I have an ozone thingy and a N2 stick

I have a 1000 ltr spa at 37.5 C degrees

I have been told to use HP all you do is Balance the spa and then add 90 mls HP 20 mins before use.nothing after.(and that was without the stick and ozone)

Q1 say i get in the spa for 1 hour and i leave behind some baddies, the HP I dosed should kill all those baddies should it not.??

leaving the ozone and the stick to keep the water fresh between dips.

Q2 IF i did use HP before the dip and then MPS after the dip what effect would the MPS have on the HP.

We have a system that is available to us here , its called spa poppits, it is based on HP, I have not seen it mentioned in any posts. They seem to have a complete system happening though it is a bit more expensive.

Maybe your not allowed to say brand names, I am not endorsing this system, just wondered why people seem to be ignoring it.

for the picky ones yes it does have a chlorine content in the oxidiser.

On a previous post I saw that to reduce your chlorine level you can add HP to the spa.

IF you were using HP in the spa and added a chlorine shocker, would not the HP just kill the chlorine.

signed

frustrated and confused and definatly not a spa guru

I just had a mind melt.. running the 90 ml theory and then adding MPS after ........HP is already in mps so if you shocked the spa using MPS that should all be compatable

Just too many questions...

Hydrogen peroxide and chlorine are not compatible. Chlorine will oxidize hydrogen peroxide to oxygen -- that is, hydrogen peroxide will dechlorinate the water so you can't get sanitation form chlorine when you have hydrogen peroxide in the water and hydrogen peroxide at levels in the water that are not irritating will not sanitize the water. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer usually used in Baqua/biguanide/PHMB spas.

Hydrogen peroxide and chlorine are not compatible. Chlorine will oxidize hydrogen peroxide to oxygen -- that is, hydrogen peroxide will dechlorinate the water so you can't get sanitation form chlorine when you have hydrogen peroxide in the water and hydrogen peroxide at levels in the water that are not irritating will not sanitize the water. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer usually used in Baqua/biguanide/PHMB spas.

Thankyou for replying

OK but if you used the mps stuff that doesnt have chlorine how would that go

Same deal. The MPS (which is a reasonably strong oxidizer) would oxidize the hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and the MPS would get used up. Basically, any strong oxidizer will get used up by the hydrogen peroxide. This is because hydrogen peroxide is not only an oxidizer but can get oxidized itself by a reasonably strong oxidizer. I'm not sure what happens with bromine which is a weaker oxidizer -- it might be that both can co-exist at least for a while. I've never heard of anyone using both together. Again, hydrogen peroxide is the oxidizer used in Baqua/biguanide/PHMB spas where the latter is the sanitizer.