White Mold

SJ Hart

I have white mold in my spa. My local dealer had me super shock my spa, run all the jets/filter for two 20 minute cycles and then drain (and replaced the filters). Upon re-starting I noticed that their is still the white "tissue like" objects floating (white mold). They appeared as soon as I turned on the jets (after refilling). Now, if the supershock killed the mold, would it be normal for it to take some time to clear it all out of the jets/piping/etc.? Thanks for any feedback. SJ

My dealer indicated that it may take several weeks for all of the white mold to "come out" and that it is normal as the shocking only kills the mold and does not disolve the white flakes. I'm just scooping it out as I see it. Already seems to be much less, so hopefully the supershocking killed it all! Makes me wonder whether it is always a good idea to super shock prior to emptying. Can't see how it hurts. SJ

I was using chlorine, but because of the white mold issue I switched to bromine after I emptied the spa.

If you were using Chlorine and you developed White Mold, you weren't doing it correctly. i.e. you weren't using enough Chlorine. OR if you were using Dichlor only, your CYA built up too high diminishing it's ability to sanitize.

Check out my link below for info on how to use Chlorine correctly. Also, check out my Decon link on how to clean your tub up.