Mystery Leak

Perhaps I overlooked it, but I don't see where you mention how much water your'e losing from the pool daily. Measure the water loss in your pool. If you're not seeing significant water loss in the pool, it may just be drainage, or possibly coming from a leak in your home plumbing, or other source. It is possible that the spa water level could be coincidental.

Fill your pool to the normal level, mark the level with a piece of duct tape or black marker. Inside the skimmer can be a good place to mark since it won't be visible. Run the pool for 24 hours and use a tape measure to record the water loss. Mark the new level and let the pool sit completely idle for 24. Record the water loss.

Normal loss rates vary depending on where you live and weather such as rain, wind, humidity, etc. will also cause the rate to vary. More than 1/4" per day could be excessive, depending on a variety of other. Post your findings here.

I read through the posts, pretty thoroughly and I'm pretty sure txpoolguy is on the right track. If you are not loosing a noticeable amount of water in you pool, your pool is not leaking. Even extremely bad pool leaks, almost never, create ponding in the yard--the water usually just enters the aquifer. I think you need to look elsewhere for the source of water. I've seen situations, as you've described, with sprinkler systems.

Good luck,

• 1 month later...

I've been through the myriad of potential sources. I first thought it was drainage, but even when I would empty the hole it would return pretty quickly. I could see it actually flowing in to it. Given the fact that the water in the hole contains the same salt concentration as that in the pool I would deduct that the water is coming from the pool. By the way still no solution.