Sand In My Backwash

TLT

I'm getting filter sand in my driveway when I backwash. Sometimes it's only a trace and sometimes it seems like quite a bit. I can replace the sand in my filter, but does anyone know why this might be happening and how I can correct it? I don't think it was happening last summer. I only noticed it for the first time this spring.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

-Sir Winston Churchill

I'm getting filter sand in my driveway when I backwash. Sometimes it's only a trace and sometimes it seems like quite a bit. I can replace the sand in my filter, but does anyone know why this might be happening and how I can correct it? I don't think it was happening last summer. I only noticed it for the first time this spring.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Inside the filter tank is a what is called a lateral assembly. You will need to remove the sand then inspect the pvc pipe and all the laterals for breaks. If you multiport valve is mounted on the top of the filter tank jus replace the the entire lateral assembly and standpipe they are not that much money.

If it a side mounted valve they require a little time to remove from the fittings inside the tank.

What model and brand is your filter?

Thanks ps558. I have a Sta-Rite Cristal-flo T-240BP-1 so the valve is mounted on the top. It doesn't look too hard. Thanks again.

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

-Groucho Marx

If you are only getting sand when you backwash, and not during normal operation, then you do not need to inspect the laterals.

Sand coming out during backwashing is usually due to having either too much sand or a pump that is too big for the filter. Did you recently replace the pump or add new sand to the filter?

Also a general note to everyone: Please don't copy the entire post of the person you are responding to unless it is necessary, especially if your reply is directly below the post that you are responding to.

No. We just moved in about a year and a half ago and have had to do nothing to the filter, although we've had to have just about every other element of the system worked on. The people before us must not have taken very good care of it. There was no sand in the backwash last summer. It just started happening this summer.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

- Albert Einstein

So how would I go about correcting these problems? Remember I wasn't getting the sand last summer. It just started this summer.

Thanks.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein