Any Experience W/ These Pool Cooler Devices?

jkusmier

Hit 90F+ a few times the past several days here in the StL area - water temp is currently 90F. I have 2 laminar deck jets but doubt they'll make a dent, especially w/ 90F temps forecast through Thursday.

I've seen the Artic Glacier Pool Coolers but $1500+ shipping is more than I'm willing to spend.

Also found these Mistcooling.com Pool Coolers - curious if anyone's used them. They should work just fine, I guess I'm a bit wary of one of the kids damaging one of the return fittings.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, they look a bit goofy, but the kids love them and they definitely work. Lowered my pool water by 6F (from 91 to 85F) overnight during recent heat wave in the StL area. Naturally, the heat wave broke a day later, but I'm happy I bought them and am quite sure I'll be using them periodically throughout July and August.

• 2 weeks later...
FYI, they look a bit goofy, but the kids love them and they definitely work. Lowered my pool water by 6F (from 91 to 85F) overnight during recent heat wave in the StL area. Naturally, the heat wave broke a day later, but I'm happy I bought them and am quite sure I'll be using them periodically throughout July and August.

Which do you have? Where did you get it? Have you had a chance to run it for a more prolonged period of time I am wondering about the energy efficiency of something like this?

I got the ones from the second link - $37.50/apiece, about $90 for two w/ USPS priority shipping. They just screw into the returns. I could easily have eyeballed them, shipped them back and made my own but I don't have the ability to precisely drill the scores of tiny holes along the length of the .5" SC40 PVC pipe. They definitely worked, so well worth the expense - should last several years unless (until) the kids break them.

The Arctic Glacier Cooler models for my size pool use a 1/3HP sump pump and a 1/4 or 1/6HP fan motor, so I'm guessing they don't cost more than a few bucks to run/day. But I couldn't justify the $1500 outlay.

I want to build or buy an aeration device to cool a 20ft by 60ft pool. We have a heatpump that will cool down the pool when all systems are running. I am thinking about something made of PVC pipe, a garden hose, and an electric pump. It would set on the pool deck and shoot pumped water back into the pool at night. Hopefully I'll only have to use electricity for the pump. Any ideas?

southerngirl

I want to build or buy an aeration device to cool a 20ft by 60ft pool. We have a heatpump that will cool down the pool when all systems are running. I am thinking about something made of PVC pipe, a garden hose, and an electric pump. It would set on the pool deck and shoot pumped water back into the pool at night. Hopefully I'll only have to use electricity for the pump. Any ideas?

southerngirl

The cheapest way is with a solar panel or solar system. If you run them at night it will cool the water.

A black garden hose will work too

We've been running our pool at night with the waterfall flowing at max capacity. Has dropped the water temp from 93 to 90 in 3 days. If I can't keep the temp down or get it below 90 I'm going to try the system.

southerngirl

• 1 year later...

I second the pool mist cooler too. I live in Arizona and when its was 115 degrees my pool was getting up to 95, not very pleasant at all. So I ordered one last summer and my pool hasn't been over 89 degrees all summer. It screws into the return and looks pretty neat too. I have 4 returns and they included a plug to plug one up so I push more pressure through it and I may even order a second one I would love to cool the pool down to 84 degrees when its 118 outside. They definately work and I'd recommend it over the Glacier pool cooler, its just to expensive.