Waterway Clearwater In-line Automatic Chlorinator

I have a pool that is about 5 weeks old and have had a heck of a time maintaining any sort of stable chlorine level. It came equipped with a Waterway Clearwater In-Line Automatic Chlorinator.

One the label it states to NOT open the top while pump is in operation. I guess there's a high probability of getting superchlorinated water all over you, which would be bad.

Here's what it looks like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31kD...E4L._SS500_.jpg

Waterway tech support said to make sure that there was water in the chlorine reservoir, or the product will not work. OK, so how do I do this? When I open the top, there's NEVER water in the reservoir.

Their answer: Pump should be on low speed. Crack the cap (1/4 turn from tight) a little and let the air and water leak out, then screw the top back on. If you don't have a variable speed pump, you cannot open or close the cap while the pump is on, so I don't know how this is supposed to work. Basically, they told me to prime it everytime I open it to put chlorine tabs in it.

I did this for a few weeks, but still cannot maintain any sort of proper water level in the reservoir. Sometimes I'll check the reservoir and it is dry.

A pool service guy I talked to said these particular chlorinators are total junk, and that I should get a Pentair Rainbow.

Anyone had any experience with the Pentair product? Will it do what it is designed to do? Others have said theirs work well.