Peroxysan

Boonzer

Hi all,

it's been a while....

I dropped by my dealer today to get some new chemicals.... low and be hold he tells me there isa new product (here in NS any way) called Peroxysan.....

Anyone know anything about this..... I said I need to go do some research before jumping into a new treatment.

Also on the plus side there is a new filter being made for the Arctic spas..... I had always complained that their old 1 micron ones broke down after a month, I just put one of the new ones in tonight....we'll see how it goes.... it's called "silver sentinel".

Hang tough, and keep soaking

C

Hi all,

it's been a while....

I dropped by my dealer today to get some new chemicals.... low and be hold he tells me there isa new product (here in NS any way) called Peroxysan.....

Anyone know anything about this..... I said I need to go do some research before jumping into a new treatment.

Also on the plus side there is a new filter being made for the Arctic spas..... I had always complained that their old 1 micron ones broke down after a month, I just put one of the new ones in tonight....we'll see how it goes.... it's called "silver sentinel".

Hang tough, and keep soaking

C

I'll take a crack at this one. Peroxysan is not particularly new. It, or similar formulations, have been around for over 20 years and are used successfully as an antimicrobial agent in several applications. The active ingredients are peroxyacetic acid, also called peracetic acid, and hydrogen peroxide, and the other major components are water and acetic acid. Peroxyacetic acid is always sold in solutions containing hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid, which stabilize it and prevent potentially violent decomposition.

What may be new is the attempt to market Peroxysan as a primary disinfectant for spas. Peroxysan is approved in the US for disinfection of hard surfaces (i.e., in food processing plants) and is used for treatment of recirculating water in cooling towers. It is not, however, approved as a disinfectant for swimming pools, spas or public water supplies in any country as far as I know. In the US the federal government cannot yet force homeowners to adhere to particular regimes for pool and spa maintenance, but does enforce standards for public pools, spas and water supplies. The homeowner is well advised to steer clear of products that are not approved for municipal and commercial use, or at least proven effective by substantial, relevant data, IMHO. There are plenty of people out there who will take your money in exchange for worthless products. I'm not saying Peroxysan is not effective as a spa disinfectant - all I am saying is that it's not approved and not proven effective for spa use. There seems to be very little information available related to actual, real world experience with using Peroxysan in spas, and the information I was able to find on the internet unanymously concludes that its effective application is difficult at best.

There is also very little information on the Peroxysan web site at http://www.peroxysan.com, other than marketing hype. That site talks about the hydrogen peroxide in Peroxysan, probably because use of hydrogen peroxide in spas is well established, though not as a primary disinfectant. They don't even mention the primary active component, peroxyacetic acid (at least I can't find it mentioned), probably because anyone who looked it up (try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peracetic_acid) would be leery of using it at home. Safe use of peroxyacetic acid would require the applicator (that's you) to wear heavy rubber gloves and full face goggles at least, and preferably a full length heavy neoprene apron, to avoid potentially dangerous burns from skin contact due to splashing and spills.

Don