Ant Invasion, What To Do?

I just did a drain and refill, the tub is all nice and fresh and ready to use -- and crawling with ants. They are active everywhere right now. I sprayed the slab around the tub and the sides of the tub, but am reluctant to spray the rim where the ants are circling. Last time this happened, my hubby went nuts with the spray and we had ant poison and ant carcasses in the tub... I wound up doing a drain and refill once most of the bodies were filtered out.

Any ideas?

I just did a drain and refill, the tub is all nice and fresh and ready to use -- and crawling with ants. They are active everywhere right now. I sprayed the slab around the tub and the sides of the tub, but am reluctant to spray the rim where the ants are circling. Last time this happened, my hubby went nuts with the spray and we had ant poison and ant carcasses in the tub... I wound up doing a drain and refill once most of the bodies were filtered out.

Any ideas?

We're in Florida and ants - specially the large boring variety - look for shady, dark and moist places to nest. They can cause damage to spas with wooden support structures.

We opened our spa cover after a period of non-use and there were a bunch of big ugly ants swarming. We went to the hardware store and bought indoor/ourdoor ant bait units that lure the ants in to take the bait and carry it back to the queen.

We (so far) haven't seen an ant since. These traps are relatively inexpensive and easy to use without much risk to other critters - they are similar to the roach traps ou can buy.

GoodLuck

I am a little afraid they are nesting in the tub.. I couldn't find a trail to it. This morning there were so many, the surface a moving black sea, that I did resort to poison around the rim of the tub and a methodical cleaning process. Fortunately, the tub structure is faux wood, so unless they short out the electronics they probably won't do permanent damage. I had scattered ant bait around the slab last night and they appeared to be carrying granules of it, so hopefully enough got into the nest to eradicate the nest. Wherever it is.

I've had a lot of luck using Ant-B-Gone. You just put 2 - 3 drops on the ants pathways and they carry it back to their nests. In 2 - 3 days the ants are gone.

Terro is great.....their pre-filled ant bates work wonderful and I leave them inside my tub cabinet.

there is not an ant within 50 yards of my house.

http://www.terro.com/

• 2 weeks later...