Problems With Jandy Aqualink Buttons - Things Working Backwards?

I have the Aqualink RS6 and am having some issues with some buttons. The pool mode button drains the spa. The spa mode button fills the spa. The spa drain button operates the returns/infloor (aka pool mode). The spa fill button does nothing (aka spa mode). This just happened and is really weird. I have tried reset at the panel, shut off breakers, reset GFI, but nothing seems to be working. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Has anyone been playing around with the valve actuators recently? There is a little 3 position switch at the back or perhaps the underside of the valve actuator.

100_4717.jpg

Either someone has played with these switches, or you may have an actuator that has died. First, locate the switches on both actuators and flip both of them to the other side from where they are now. From on1 to on2 or vis versa. They should both rotate. If not, the one that does not, is the one in question (with your symptoms i'm thinking the suction actuator, The one in front of the pump). Put the switches back to where they were. When they stop rotating, are they pointing in the right direction? Handle points in the direction of flow. When in pool mode, they should both point toward pool ports, Yes? If not, move the switch like before to the other position on the actuator in wrong position. If it rotates 180 degrees, You should be set. If it won't move no matter what position, you need new actuator.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone been playing around with the valve actuators recently? There is a little 3 position switch at the back or perhaps the underside of the valve actuator.

100_4717.jpg

Either someone has played with these switches, or you may have an actuator that has died. First, locate the switches on both actuators and flip both of them to the other side from where they are now. From on1 to on2 or vis versa. They should both rotate. If not, the one that does not, is the one in question (with your symptoms i'm thinking the suction actuator, The one in front of the pump). Put the switches back to where they were. When they stop rotating, are they pointing in the right direction? Handle points in the direction of flow. When in pool mode, they should both point toward pool ports, Yes? If not, move the switch like before to the other position on the actuator in wrong position. If it rotates 180 degrees, You should be set. If it won't move no matter what position, you need new actuator.

Your input was helpful for a problem I am having - thank you! So, I am having the same problem -- when I try to heat my spa (pressing the "spa filter" button) the spa fills from the pool fill and overflows to the pool (what normally happens when "pool filter" button is pressed). I noticed one of my Goldline valves is not working. When I flip the on1/off/on2 switch that you noted, nothing happens. So, per your guidance, it sounds like my actuator is in need of replacing? I've attached some photos. Can you kindly confirm this is most likely the issue? Luckily, the part is only $100. Last couple questions -- can a novice like me (relevant electrical know-how) install it? Also, I noticed Jandy has a actuator that is double the price -- is it really that much better (longer life)? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Brent

actuator1.jpg

actuator2.jpg

actuator3.jpg

Hey Brent, Glad this helps. I was saying those are Jandy valve actuators, then I scrolled to the pic that said it. 100 bucks is a good deal. You could get two for what i sell them at. That looks like it only moves 90 degrees, Yes? If so, that will take a little more. You have to open up and adjust the actuator. I believe you can get the actuator from Jandy adjusted, but you probably can't cuz of the price you're getting. You can always try when you order.

Hey Brent, Glad this helps. I was saying those are Jandy valve actuators, then I scrolled to the pic that said it. 100 bucks is a good deal. You could get two for what i sell them at. That looks like it only moves 90 degrees, Yes? If so, that will take a little more. You have to open up and adjust the actuator. I believe you can get the actuator from Jandy adjusted, but you probably can't cuz of the price you're getting. You can always try when you order.

Spa Guru, thanks so much for the quick reply! I sincerely appreciate it.

You called it on the Jandy valve actuators. I found the $100 actuator here.

I am glad you noticed the 90 degree angle aspect. That is confusing me. Shouldn't the valve only point at where "spa" and "pool" have been written (by my installer)? Right now, in the picture, it is not pointing (on) to either of these.

I am not sure how to adjust the actuator, but I will look into it.

Also, I wanted to be able to use the spa when some friends visited, despite this issue. I read the valve actuator manual and was happy to see a section on a manual override. I set the valve to spa manually, but nothing happened -- literally -- the filter came on, but the spa did not heat and water also did not come out of the pool fill pipe. No water flow that I could see. Any thoughts there? Shouldn't it be possible to get the spa working manually?

Thanks again for your assistance!!

Brent

I am glad you noticed the 90 degree angle aspect. That is confusing me. Shouldn't the valve only point at where "spa" and "pool" have been written (by my installer)? Right now, in the picture, it is not pointing (on) to either of these.

The flow in the picture is going to the pool.

When you are ordering, see if you can get a 2 port actuator, That will have a 90 degree throw.

Also, I wanted to be able to use the spa when some friends visited, despite this issue. I read the valve actuator manual and was happy to see a section on a manual override. I set the valve to spa manually, but nothing happened -- literally -- the filter came on, but the spa did not heat and water also did not come out of the pool fill pipe. No water flow that I could see. Any thoughts there? Shouldn't it be possible to get the spa working manually?

Take the handle off the actuator. Then take the actuator off the valve (4 screws). Reattach the handle onto the valve. Now you can rotate the valve by hand.

Note: when you get the actuator off the valve and put the handle back on, rotate the handle 90 degrees counter clockwise (from where it is in the picture) that will put that valve in spa. Don't forget you have to rotate the other valve too.

• 2 weeks later...

The flow in the picture is going to the pool.

When you are ordering, see if you can get a 2 port actuator, That will have a 90 degree throw.

Take the handle off the actuator. Then take the actuator off the valve (4 screws). Reattach the handle onto the valve. Now you can rotate the valve by hand.

Note: when you get the actuator off the valve and put the handle back on, rotate the handle 90 degrees counter clockwise (from where it is in the picture) that will put that valve in spa. Don't forget you have to rotate the other valve too.

Thanks, Pool Clown! Really appreciate it! I am going to try this today, now that I have some time. Curious -- why do I need to remove the actuator to manually adjust the valve? I would think I could do this w/ the actuator still on it. Hope you are enjoying Labor Day Weekend with friends and family... in the water! Thanks again!

Thanks, Pool Clown! Really appreciate it! I am going to try this today, now that I have some time. Curious -- why do I need to remove the actuator to manually adjust the valve? I would think I could do this w/ the actuator still on it.

I think the "Manual mode" you are reffering to is manual mode of the control system. For over riding the control of the automation, not the actuator.