Need Help Figuring Out Wiring

I have an inground pool and spa with gas heater. The spa is controlled remotely using an X-10 transmitter and receiver. I'm trying to do some electrical troubleshooting and trying to figure out what is in this box. I get the Leviton X-10 receiver. But what is the device labelled "Marcus"? And the other two wiring blocks - are they relays?

Can anyone tell me how this all works together to control my spa?

spacontrol.jpg

I have an inground pool and spa with gas heater. The spa is controlled remotely using an X-10 transmitter and receiver. I'm trying to do some electrical troubleshooting and trying to figure out what is in this box. I get the Leviton X-10 receiver. But what is the device labelled "Marcus"? And the other two wiring blocks - are they relays?

Can anyone tell me how this all works together to control my spa?

spacontrol.jpg

The marcu item is a transformer. They are used to change voltages. pri is the voltage coming and sec is the volts going out.

Yes the others are relays. maybe the transformer is for the relay coils

Locate the mfg. name, model number and serial number, which is likely on the inside of the door (not shown in photo). If the unit is still being made, you should be able to get a manual from the mfg, which will have all diagrams. Most of these units have the diagrams on the inside of the box, somewhere.

Locate the mfg. name, model number and serial number, which is likely on the inside of the door (not shown in photo). If the unit is still being made, you should be able to get a manual from the mfg, which will have all diagrams. Most of these units have the diagrams on the inside of the box, somewhere.

There is nothing but the name and model number for the enclosure. It it possible that this wiring box is custom?

The transformer puts out 12/24 V as listed at this link.

It it possible that this wiring box is custom?

Not just possibly, it is certainly custom. From what I can see the installer worked cleanly but I'm not as sure about how close to code he worked.

There are two relays, a 110 to 12/24 stepdown transformer, a 4 amp circuit breaker and 110v outlet into which is plugged a remote control receiver.

I can't see the specifics of the wiring and I'm not certain of the function of the two relays but this is what I would do:

- Check for 110 at the outlet, correct if missing then

- Check for the remote receiver functioning by measuring voltage across the two output screw terminals. Voltage should be present when off, and zero when on. If no voltage in either state check it again by removing one of the wires and check for resistance when switched on and off. When remote on resistance should be near zero, when remote off it should be infinite. fix it it it's bad. Then

- Check the input of the transformer with the remote on. It should be getting 110v, possibly also when the remote is off. I can't say anything else from here because the photo is not detailed enough to tell, and I'm not certain what the relays do.

From the look of the box I'd say it has some years on it and a bit of weathering but it also looks like a weather-tight enclosure so the weathering shouldn't be too much a problem.

The transformer puts out 12/24 V as listed at this link.

It it possible that this wiring box is custom?

Not just possibly, it is certainly custom. From what I can see the installer worked cleanly but I'm not as sure about how close to code he worked.

There are two relays, a 110 to 12/24 stepdown transformer, a 4 amp circuit breaker and 110v outlet into which is plugged a remote control receiver.

I can't see the specifics of the wiring and I'm not certain of the function of the two relays but this is what I would do:

- Check for 110 at the outlet, correct if missing then

- Check for the remote receiver functioning by measuring voltage across the two output screw terminals. Voltage should be present when off, and zero when on. If no voltage in either state check it again by removing one of the wires and check for resistance when switched on and off. When remote on resistance should be near zero, when remote off it should be infinite. fix it it it's bad. Then

- Check the input of the transformer with the remote on. It should be getting 110v, possibly also when the remote is off. I can't say anything else from here because the photo is not detailed enough to tell, and I'm not certain what the relays do.

From the look of the box I'd say it has some years on it and a bit of weathering but it also looks like a weather-tight enclosure so the weathering shouldn't be too much a problem.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Now what would require a 12/24v supply? The heater?

Edit: I think I answered my own question - it's the underwater pool lights.