How To Choose An Swg System

I am slowly becoming convinced that I should put money into an SWG. However, I have been unable to find any reviews or un-biased comments about the different products available out there.

Have there been any honest reviews and field testing of SWG systems?

I'd also like to hear about experiences. A great device at a decent price may not be worth it if the manufacturer ignores complaints. Or maybe there are features not available in cheaper models that would make it appropriate to pay for a more expensive model.

I'm not even certain how many manufacturers there are out there and what sort of track record the have.

If I get enough data here and the data does not exist elsewhere I would like to start a poll to see how the various models stack up against each other.

*+ bump +*

Nobody has any opinions - good or bad - about the salt system they've purchased?

I had a great system in Phoenix. I don't recall the name of the unit, but other than muratic acid & cleaning the cell. It was pretty much trouble free for three years. And we never shut the pool down in Phoenix, in other words it was in use at all times.

Speed up to Albuquerque. I just switched to SWG system after using Baqua. I purchased an Intex inline SWG system. Needless to say I had nothing but problems with the unit. It just flat will not operate properly (search internet for-code 91 issues). So I would not recommend that unit.

Yesterday I installed a Goldline Aqua Trol owned by hayward. It has run over 24 hours w/o an issue. I now see chlorine on the test strips. I think this is going to work just fine. I really like the fact that it has a timer to control the pool equipment and the whole unit is 110vac. If you have an above ground type system, this is the unit to buy.

Back to wally world today to return intex unit.

One last thing. My water is really hard here in ABQ. So I am sure I will have to clean the cell monthly.

CK

12500 gal Doughboy Vinyl-placed in ground

Super, thanks for the comments, especially on Intex. I haven't heard that they have problems but I fully expected it. From the comments I've seen on the web they were just too cheap to even work, much less work well.

Anyone else want take their Intex back to WM?

I am slowly becoming convinced that I should put money into an SWG. However, I have been unable to find any reviews or un-biased comments about the different products available out there.

Have there been any honest reviews and field testing of SWG systems?

I'd also like to hear about experiences. A great device at a decent price may not be worth it if the manufacturer ignores complaints. Or maybe there are features not available in cheaper models that would make it appropriate to pay for a more expensive model.

I'm not even certain how many manufacturers there are out there and what sort of track record the have.

If I get enough data here and the data does not exist elsewhere I would like to start a poll to see how the various models stack up against each other.

Jandy has aquarure units- good unit

Goldline Controls- good unit

Auto pilot- good unit

Stay away fron Intex,Pentair, and Zodiac

That makes 2 against and one for Intex.

dymondgeezer: The Code-91 seems to be a problem with a shorting or under-cooled or undersized power supply and there are things on the web about it. For me the most worrying thing about the Intex is that they seem to be an order of magnitude cheaper than the other well knowns and I have to wonder why they manage to make them so cheap.

I'm certain that there are others like yourself who are satisfied that maybe have a newer/older model or have them installed in cooler locations, or maybe it's moisture or or or.

Of course this information wouldn't necessarily appear in any kind of review; If someone takes ten models and performs blind testing in a fixed environment for a day or two, the results may show that all of them work perfectly. That same test could show a failure in an otherwise great model that is not representative of that particular model.

ps558 - Why do you say stay away from these models - have you had bad experiences with them or do you work in the industry?

I have read bad things about the Zodiac on the web, and I've seen conflicting comments about the Intex.

Also, lets not forget the swimming pool behemoth company - Hayward. I believe they have at least two lines of SWGs - Aqua Rite™ and SwimPure™ and I couldn't tell the difference between them; capacity, price and design seem to be similar or even identical.

I am actually thinking about a Hayward model because they offer optional automation and my local pool store has them on sale.

That makes 2 against and one for Intex.

dymondgeezer: The Code-91 seems to be a problem with a shorting or under-cooled or undersized power supply and there are things on the web about it. For me the most worrying thing about the Intex is that they seem to be an order of magnitude cheaper than the other well knowns and I have to wonder why they manage to make them so cheap.

I'm certain that there are others like yourself who are satisfied that maybe have a newer/older model or have them installed in cooler locations, or maybe it's moisture or or or.

Of course this information wouldn't necessarily appear in any kind of review; If someone takes ten models and performs blind testing in a fixed environment for a day or two, the results may show that all of them work perfectly. That same test could show a failure in an otherwise great model that is not representative of that particular model.

ps558 - Why do you say stay away from these models - have you had bad experiences with them or do you work in the industry?

I have read bad things about the Zodiac on the web, and I've seen conflicting comments about the Intex.

Also, lets not forget the swimming pool behemoth company - Hayward. I believe they have at least two lines of SWGs - Aqua Rite™ and SwimPure™ and I couldn't tell the difference between them; capacity, price and design seem to be similar or even identical.

I am actually thinking about a Hayward model because they offer optional automation and my local pool store has them on sale.

The Code-91 fault code is low salt. From what I can see there are two main draw backs to the Intex system. They are sized for small pool but their spec says that they can handle up to 50,000 litres or just over. For pool of this size they need to be running for 12 hours a day in the summer which with a small pump is not a major problem but will use 450w per hour. However, the cell only has a life of 3000 hours so you will need to renew it every year. The other issue is that the timer needs reseting if there is a power outage.

The Code-91 fault code is low salt. From what I can see there are two main draw backs to the Intex system. They are sized for small pool but their spec says that they can handle up to 50,000 litres or just over. For pool of this size they need to be running for 12 hours a day in the summer which with a small pump is not a major problem but will use 450w per hour. However, the cell only has a life of 3000 hours so you will need to renew it every year. The other issue is that the timer needs reseting if there is a power outage.

Ahhh That makes sense. I have an 8,500 gal in-ground pool and I do not intend to get the smallest IG SWclG system available even though they are usually rated at 15,000 gals (I'll probably get the middle sized one). The smaller the cell, the more often you have to replace it, and because of the precious metals in them they are expensive. I suspect that is where Intex makes their money (combined with dirt-cheap labor in China and the price pressure from Walmart). Sell a system that is under-dimensioned for the intended function, then sell replacement cells two or three years down the road. Actually not a bad tactic and may even be close to acceptable for the consumer who wants to get by a cheaply as possible right now.

The code-91 fault is a low salt warning, but apparently is it appearing in some devices despite appropriate salt content of the water. As I understand it, the low salt is measured by monitoring for low current flow accross the plates. If it is too low, the SWclG "thinks" it's because there is not enough salt in the water, but because the Intex can have a faulty power supply it doesn't provide enough current accross the plates so the monitoring system thinks the salt is low.

Unless I am missing something (which is quite likely) choosing the right model is quite difficult. We know that we need about 1ppm per day FC and how long we want to run our pumps, but the SWG manufactures quote there devices in grams per hours. I have no idea how you convert grams per hour to ppm though!

Unless I am missing something (which is quite likely) choosing the right model is quite difficult. We know that we need about 1ppm per day FC and how long we want to run our pumps, but the SWG manufactures quote there devices in grams per hours. I have no idea how you convert grams per hour to ppm though!

That's a good point and I haven't really considered it yet. When manufacturers recommend a particular SWG model for a particular pool size, what is the basis for their calculations.

IMHO, having the biggest SWG possible is better because it won't need to run all the time or at full power and that means the cell will last much longer. However, there are limits and if you get an SWG that can't be reduced below your routine cl requirements, it could get messy.

The Goldline system can't be beat. They've been building SWG longer than the other major brands, so have already solved problems that the others haven't seen yet. They have 3 TurboCell sizes availabe, based on the size of your pool (15, 25, 40K gal). Easy operation, good warranty, reliable service. The automation systems are also compatible with the Turbocells and are very easy to use.

I still shudder when I remember the time I went to Wally World and asked the clerk a pool chemistry question, in the pool chemical aisle. The blank look was frightening. I strongly recommend purchasing from pool professionals. It may cost you a bit more up front, but will likely save you bucks down the line. I understand "cheaper", but it's rarely best.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made the decision and put out the money for an SWG.

I decided on a Hayward Swimpure Plus (Goldline manufactured?) because my local Leslie's had them on sale for about $900 with rebate for the T-15 (for 40,000 gallons), and they have an input for remote controlling. While I have have done things on line (my pump, for example)

I also much prefer to get things from a human being that I can see and who intends to keep doing business in my local area. If I have problems we all know who I'm gonna call so it sets things out in the open. Besides I probably couldn't have saved enough on the web to take the risk on an unknown device and seller.

I am happy with mine so far and it looks like with it being so far overdimensioned I'll be able to run it at 15-30% for 12hrs/day and maybe still over-chlorinate. I still have some cl demand to deal with but things are looking

After weeks of cold ugly gray weather (cold is of course relative; it was still short sleeve weather) we finally had fantastic weather here today and we spent a couple of hours in our wood-fire-heated 90°F pool-turned-almost-hot-tub.