Sat Rite Backflush Valve

I'm new to this and for the most part seem to be doing O.K. thanks especially to the help of this forum.

Now for the problem, my backflush valve is leaking at the top. I was backwashing the pool and went through a couple of cycles when I pushed the valve handle down and started the pump. I started the pump and water started leaking from the top. It seems as though the valve has been awfully hard to work and something I read indicated that it has to be lubed every once in a while, I think that has a lot to do with why it's leaking. So how does one go about disassembling the unit? Remove the screws (however many there are) and what...pull up on the handle to remove the "guts"?

Should the handle be up for backwash or down for regular operation? I have the handle up, I removed the screws and it really doesn't want to come out. Does it?

I'm sure for those that know it's pretty simple but I dont want to force anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way I have an inground pool with Sta Rite S8D110 filter system.

There are roll pins, One that holds the handle on the shaft, One that Holds or locks the valve in back wash, and one that locks it into filter position. Get a punch and drive the roll pin out of the shaft, that holds the handle, and the one nearest the handle. You will then be able to take the cap off the shaft. There is a small o ring in the cap that seals the shaft to the cap. Thats the o ring that is leaking. Dig it out and get a new one and install. Reverse to assemble.

Sta-Rite made valves that went both ways (up for filter and down for filter). try it down first for filter, and see if any water comes out of the backwash line. You'll know if you're in the right position or not.

• 2 years later...

Greetings all, I have searched and searched for help on my leaking backwash valve, the sta-rite swimquip. It has been leaking exactly like the above post. I have seen diagrams from the company and nowhere is there mention of this extra o ring. I purchased an o ring kit from the store and i said but why are there 4 when in the diagrams i only need to replace 3? He said well there is another one but its really hard to get to or something. I replaced the 3 and it made no difference. So after more reading, and this post mostly helping, we realize there is another one they don't tell you about in the documentation. I took the handle to home depot to see if they had a tool that would get the pin out, we ended up buying a punch set and one of the guys there worked on it with the right punch for about 15 minutes and we still can get the pin out. Does it come down to brute strength? Also, where will I buy a new pin to replace it once done? Curious where others have bought them if ya don't mind me asking. Don't know if I am just being fussy or not but seems like they wouldn't have omitted that bit of data, didn't mean to go on and on about it. I really appreciate finding this board/post, thanks, Aggie

No sweat! That's why we're here! It's a roller pin, common at home depot, ace, or other hardware store! A punch is a good way to remove it, if you are able to put the assembly in a vise. I tend to use a pair of vise grips that I can leverage against the side to pull it out, it's a grab and leverage, grab again, technique. Because it's a roller pin, I seldom have to replace it! But if you must, you should be able to find one readily, they serve many purposes!

No sweat! That's why we're here! It's a roller pin, common at home depot, ace, or other hardware store! A punch is a good way to remove it, if you are able to put the assembly in a vise. I tend to use a pair of vise grips that I can leverage against the side to pull it out, it's a grab and leverage, grab again, technique. Because it's a roller pin, I seldom have to replace it! But if you must, you should be able to find one readily, they serve many purposes!

Much appreciated! I feel like I dodged a bullet and saved some decent $ on this one. What a great reference, thanks again,

ps, must admit, that sucker was a bear to get out of there! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, me again.. I backwashed the pool for the first time after I changed the o rings, including the little one. When I cam out later , there was a flood in the side yard. This freaked me out so I shut everything down. After a while, I took out that valve and the very top large o ring fell out. I thought that was strange. I re secured that o ring and put it back together. Instead of a nice dribble, I get a drop every now and then. I believe that backwash valve should be replaced but am leaving the state for a week coming up. Yeah, it's scary as heck. My question is, is there another valve I can purchase to replace that complicated valve. I've read the plunger type are more reliable but am really in a time crunch as to what to do. Everything was fine until I backwashed and then it was leaking bad, I took it apart and put it back together and it leaks only a tiny bit but I realize that backwashing alone should not make it leak. I am really in a quandry now but I believe replacing the backwash valve is the right approach but would like to replace it with something better based on what I've read. I'd appreciate opinions on this critical time seeing that I am leaving in 2 days for a week. Thanks so much, :)