Replacing Burner On Pool Heater

Hi I have a Raypak Pool heater (250) it's old. I turned it on and a steamy burst came out the top for about 5 minutes is this normal? Also I looked at the burner when on and it looks like orange flames like when your bbq burner is about to go. Can I replace this burner? Where can I get the (I live in Ontario) part? also is it worth the cost on a 15 year old heater? thanks to all you experts.

Sounds like you can just clean the burners. Spiders and others like to get in there because, well, they know it makes us crazy. I can probably get some pictures Monday to walk you through the cleaning. What you need is a coat hanger. Cut it so you have a piece about 10 to 12 inches long. Put a 1/8 inch bend, 90, at one end to hook debris. If you can visualize this, your going to slide the wire into the burners, about a dozen of them. Follow the header out of the gas valve, It makes a u-turn and runs along the bottom of the box where, if you look under you'll see the jets or orifices. You'll see the where the jet shoots gas to a burner. Thats where you want to stick the wire, in that gap between the jet and the burner. Run the wire down the burner as far as it takes to clear the burner, usually about 6 inches should do it.

If your comfortable, It's best to do this while its firing. That way, you can see if you are clearing the burner right away, The flame will turn from yellow to blue.

If this doesn't do it, let me know. You may have another problem. But this is usually the problem