Help! Shotcrete Pool Construction

Hello,

We are building a small 16x30 shotcrete pool in Florida. The problem is that yesterday the contractor installed the shotcrete and it does not even look like they tried to trowel anything. There are footprints, voids, etc. The top of the beam is not even level. Is there anyway for them to be able to install the plaster and make the finish smooth? I asked the contractor about wetting the pool down several times a day and they did not recommend it and saw no need to wet it down. Is this normal? I thought the slower the cure the better. This is our first pool and I am not getting a good feeling about it.

I arrived onsite as they were packing up to leave and they requested payment for the shotcrete draw. I told them that I would pay them on Monday and they seemed OK with it but I am having second thoughts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have any pictures?

Shotcrete should not be smooth. It should have a brushed (or slightly rough) finish to it or the plaster won't adhere to it. There shouldn't be footprints or voids in it though, that's sloppy. Slight imprints in it can be covered when it is plastered, but you don't want to fill giant holes with plaster. Ideally the beam should be as close to level as possible. The tile and coping guy will actually make the beam truly level, but you don't want one side of the pool way off from the other. Did you shoot this with a laser level or does it just look off (could be an optical illusion to the eye). Shotcrete should always be watered down, at least twice a day for 7 days. When it is hot, more. If it rains, you just had your watering done for you. Were the shotcrete guys subcontractors? Maybe the PB hasn't used them much or is on the verge of canning them and would like to know about what they did. Regardless, I would have the PB out to take a look at it. Tell him you will give them the check when they come explain to you that everything is okay or tell you what needs to be fixed. Keep in mind though, that your missed payment may put you on hold until they get it (and it clears).

Attached are some pics. I find it hard to believe that this would be considered acceptable workmanship in any way but the contractor only has 1 BBB complaint in the last several years. Just seeking a second opinion. Thanks for the help in advance.

DSCF5209Small.jpg

DSCF5197Small.jpg

DSCF5190Small.jpg

DSCF5206.jpg

DSCF5194Small.jpg

I hate to scare you either but you need to get the builder out there immediately. I would give them a fair chance to explain the situation to you before totally freaking out. IMO, the beam is far from acceptable workmanship. It is important that you listen carefully to what the builder's plan to correct it is. If it is just to level the beam with mud when they do the coping, you are going to have serious probems later with the tile.

Pool Clown is right, looks like the first pool they ever shot (or maybe it was a very late night the night before).

The pool builder was the one that shot it. No subcontractors.They have to come back on Monday and build the steps correctly and add a swim out in the deep end due to lack of communication between the salesman and construction crew. They also got over spray all over the side of one of the neighbor house and drove a truck on edge of the driveway of the other neighbor and cracked the driveway.

How can this problem be fixed? What would be an acceptable solution?

Thanks

They have to come back on Monday and build the steps correctly and add a swim out in the deep end

How can this problem be fixed? What would be an acceptable solution?

Thanks

Make sure they steel the swim out, Not just shoot a blob there and knock it down (trowel it).

• 1 month later...