Clogged Drain?

My pool is 9 months old and I am wondering if my drain is clogged. I seem to get little flow from the drain, and when I sweep dirt toward it the dirt just settles around it. Shouldn't it be pulling the dirt into the drain?

Today, I shut off both skimmers and when I did there was a huge influx of dirty water and 8-10 big chunks of plaster that shot into the basket. I don't know much, but I don't think I should have huge chunks of plaster in my drain lines.

Is there a way to take the cover off the drain and clean it out?

Thanks for helping a newbie,

Jason

Sounds like you got rid of your problem of main drain not working. When your pool was first put into operation, the start up guy didn't do what you did 9 mos later. He should have cleared that line at first start up. Now if after that you still have a low draw at the M/D, try closing down the skimmers like you did before only don't close them all the way, just enough to get draw from the M/D. It's a "path of least resistance" thing. It's easier for the pump to draw from the 2 skimmers topside than to draw water from the main drain, 10 to 20 feet farther in plumbing.

Yes the M/D cover should come off. Probably set with stainless steel screws.

Depends how deep the pool is but getting off the M/D screws can be hard. Once they are off I would use a good old fashion backwash off the lines to crear out any junk. Find a spot in your plumbing where you can insert a hose to apply water pressure to force the water out of the drain. The trick is to attach one of these Bladders to the hose to force out the junk. Be ready with a net to get the big stuff out.

As far as sweeping dirt into the drain and it does not suck it all in, do not be to alarmed. It is a big drain with a wide mouth. It is all about suspending the dirt in the water and then moving the water to the filter where it is removed from the water.......