Tiger River Bengal Heating

rock2605

Hi there,

I'm in the UK and I've just bought a second hand 240v 1.5kW 2002 model year Tiger River Bengal (out first tub). All seems OK but its taking an age to get upto temperature. I've looked at the main board and the red 'heater on' LED is illuminated. I reset the high temp trip on the heater which did finally start things moving. So far the temp has gone from 27 c (80 f) to 33.5 (92f) in 16 hours. This seems really slow to me - or is it quite normal. I wondered if the heater was on its way out but the only way I can think to check is current draw with a clip on ammeter - is this how you'd normally check these things on tubs? Any help would be appreciated :o .

Thanks,

Ivan

Hi there,

I'm in the UK and I've just bought a second hand 240v 1.5kW 2002 model year Tiger River Bengal (out first tub). All seems OK but its taking an age to get upto temperature. I've looked at the main board and the red 'heater on' LED is illuminated. I reset the high temp trip on the heater which did finally start things moving. So far the temp has gone from 27 c (80 f) to 33.5 (92f) in 16 hours. This seems really slow to me - or is it quite normal. I wondered if the heater was on its way out but the only way I can think to check is current draw with a clip on ammeter - is this how you'd normally check these things on tubs? Any help would be appreciated :o .

Thanks,

Ivan

Yes, that's how you check...what do you get for an amperage reading?

AT 240volts, you should get 5 degrees an hour or more, so it sounds like it may only be heating from friction of the pump running or it may be wired wrong and only getting 110 volts.

Hi there,

Thanks,

Ivan

Yes, that's how you check...what do you get for an amperage reading?

AT 240volts, you should get 5 degrees an hour or more, so it sounds like it may only be heating from friction of the pump running or it may be wired wrong and only getting 110 volts.

Dan - thanks. I'll borrow the clip on from work tomorrow and advise.

Cheers,

Ivan

Wow! This is a special day. Dan T Man goofed. I never thought I would live to see the day. This man is very good, and very good with giving his time and energy - and much appreciated.

On a US-spec tub, 220 volts does mean the tub should heat as Dan said. However, the UK-spec tub has only a 1500watt heater on 220v, and will only do one or two degrees per hour. Also - the lowest setting on the unit is 80, so it is possible the water was much colder than that when you started. Give it some more time.

As to an amp meter, yes, your unit should draw somewhere around 5 to 7 amps at the heater. If you have the "No Fault" heater, it does have four heating elements, and one or more can go out leaving a VERY slow heater. The amp meter will tell you that.

B)

Wow! This is a special day. Dan T Man goofed. I never thought I would live to see the day. This man is very good, and very good with giving his time and energy - and much appreciated.

On a US-spec tub, 220 volts does mean the tub should heat as Dan said. However, the UK-spec tub has only a 1500watt heater on 220v, and will only do one or two degrees per hour. Also - the lowest setting on the unit is 80, so it is possible the water was much colder than that when you started. Give it some more time.

As to an amp meter, yes, your unit should draw somewhere around 5 to 7 amps at the heater. If you have the "No Fault" heater, it does have four heating elements, and one or more can go out leaving a VERY slow heater. The amp meter will tell you that.

B)

Ahhhh, you got me. I usually preface my advice to owners of exported models with "I'm not familiar with the specifics of the export tubs but this is how it works on the US models." I was in a hurry this morning though....getting busy in the Northeast with Summer coming!

Thanks for the props though. I like trying to help people who like to help themselves, which is usually the case on here.

• 10 months later...

All,

Your support has done me proud and after water changes through last summer I've waited that little longer for things to heat up and it's not been a problem. This week I did another change - outside ambient here is about 2 deg C currently and I guess the tap water was about 4 when I filled it. After 72 hours it is only upto 32 C so I think it's time I got a new element before it fails totally. Trouble is where from. My tub has the No Fault 1500 running 230 volts but I can seem to locate one anywhere. Can anyone offer any advice please - my tub serial number is ME3D1016. I would also like to upgrade to a more powerfull element if poss (4kW) but I'm unsure if the control box could handle a higher current - the wiring to the house could easily handle upto 30 amps.

Thanks,

Ivan

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I've done some tests on the Tiger River Bengal. Heater on it's only pulling 2.3A - at 230 volts this works out to 529 watts. Well below the 1.5kW I expected the heater to pull. Can anyone advise is this is usual and caused by a bad heater?

With the pump running the current justs to 7 amps which is pretty much what I expected.

http://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/r/o/c...g?ts=1269169726

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ivan