1st Test Results Of Season - Ph Too Low

jkusmier

2-year old vinyl-lined, 16,500G w/ chlorine generator (salt system).

Chem additions were based on estimation/last year's maintenance notes, and not on testing w/ my Taylor K-2006. Stupid, I know. Anyway, I tested for first time today, after adding chems past couple of days - results as follows:

FC: 9.5 (shocked two days ago, and again a couple hours before testing).

CC: .5

pH: 7.0 (possibly a bit lower? Shade of yellow was a bit lighter in color than the 7.0 color block on the comperator)

TA: 150

CH: 150

Temp: 56F

SI: -0.6

CYA: 60

I know, my TA is too high and pH is too low. I'm not too worried about the TA, know that it will drop once I peel back the cover over the deep end and run my deck jets for a few days, but is the pH a problem I need to address immediately? How long before pH creeps back up to 7.2-7.4? Will it do so if I just leave it alone for a few days, or do I need to take action tomorrow? Chem Geek?

Added all chems slowly via skimmer after setting filter to recirculate (except CYA, which I added to skimmer basket lined w/ a skimmer sock).

I'd appreciate feedback - thanks as always!

You're doing great.

Since you have an SWG and will likely experience a pH rise over time, you can go ahead and lower your TA now by aerating the water and then adding acid when the pH goes up (only adding acid gets the TA lower; aeration just raises the pH with no change in TA). The procedure will go faster now that the pH is low. If you don't want to lower your TA now, then just aerate the water to have the pH rise with no change in TA.

A few days at a pH near 7.0 is OK. It's not something you'd leave like that for weeks. If you turn on your SWG (later on when the FC is lower) and/or aerate the water, the pH should rise reasonably fast, over a few days. Running the pump on high and pointing up your returns helps with the aeration. If you have any waterfalls, spillovers, fountains or other similar features, they help aerate as well.

Richard

Richard, thanks for the reassurance re: the pH, and the advice in general. I used the aeration trick plenty last year, and it worked like a charm. I've learned nearly everything I know (little though it may be) from posts on this forum, mostly yours. As a result, my water was crystal clear and well-balanced all last season - I'm looking forward to the same this year!

Richard, thanks for the reassurance re: the pH, and the advice in general. I used the aeration trick plenty last year, and it worked like a charm. I've learned nearly everything I know (little though it may be) from posts on this forum, mostly yours. As a result, my water was crystal clear and well-balanced all last season - I'm looking forward to the same this year!

You know, whenever I think about replying, Richard has already beat me to it and with a better response. Much thanks to Chemgeek!

You know, whenever I think about replying, Richard has already beat me to it and with a better response. Much thanks to Chemgeek!

Thanks, but please always check what I write. I sometimes make mistakes or write in a way that can be misinterpreted at times. These forums are great because multiple people can chime in with both knowledge and experience and augment each other and I'm always learning.