Copper Stained Plaster On In Ground Spa. Help!

I'm new to the forum, and could really use some much needed expertise. I've got an 800 gallon gunite/plaster in ground spa, that has been stained blue/green from copper from our heater. I made the mistake of trying an acid wash, which actually removed some of the staining, but now left the staining "blotchy" and actually looks worse. (I should've just left it alone, at least it was all the same color :wacko:) Anyway, other than an acid wash, I was thinking of using either Removit or Super Stain Treat. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations between the two? Or, can anyone recommend another treatment or option? I really appreciate any help you can give.

there are a couple of products i have used over here in NZ, and they now have manufacturing in the states. They come from an australian based firm with 25years in doing stain treatments for pools

www.lochlor.com, thye can put you onto a stockist

multi stain remover is a good bet, alternativly mail them direct and they mail have an alternative for you

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to the forum, and could really use some much needed expertise. I've got an 800 gallon gunite/plaster in ground spa, that has been stained blue/green from copper from our heater. I made the mistake of trying an acid wash, which actually removed some of the staining, but now left the staining "blotchy" and actually looks worse. (I should've just left it alone, at least it was all the same color :wacko:) Anyway, other than an acid wash, I was thinking of using either Removit or Super Stain Treat. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations between the two? Or, can anyone recommend another treatment or option? I really appreciate any help you can give.

Ascorbic Acid is the magic ingredient and it DOES work like magic.

These stains are simple to remove from a swimming pool, though I don't know if the same applies for a spa. The problem for me last summer was keeping them away once I removed them. I had a broken exchange heater which put copper in my water and pump system, so even after the stains were removed they kept coming back.

Powdered vitamin C works like magic. It's very expensive at the pool stores (About $30 for a quart).. I was able to find it cheaper at my local Vitamin Cottage Store. It's litereally nothing more than Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C in powdered Form)

You will want to lower your chlorine level before starting treatment, as the chlorine will eliminate some of the effectiveness of the ascorbic acid. When the stains are gone, there are other products that work to keep them away. One is called "Metal Free"

There is more detail on this somewhere else in this forum. Do a search and you will find a very good description of the process. Make sure it's safe to use with Spas, though I don't see why not.