Very Uneaven Bottom

My 18x33 above ground is new.. the pool guys installed about a month ago.. we have not even swam in it yet.. too cold.. anyway, I was wondering why the polaris was not cleaning the bottom very well.. and used the hand vacuum and realized the bottom is very uneaven and lumps and such.. is this normal? is there a way to make it better?

I guess the "professional" AGP installers will have to wade it on this one.

My opinion is that the smoothing should have been done prior to the installation of the liner. I can't think of a way to smooth out the ground under the liner without damaging the liner unless it is removed.

Our contractor suggested we pay him to put a soft concrete floor under our liner - I think the term is "gunite" and we are so glad we agreed. The bottom of our pool has remained perfectly flat - even the slope down to the extra depth center for over 20 years.

We have never seen the need for a bottom crawling auto vacuum/cleaner so maybe you can vacuum and do without the crawler.

Otherwise, we are interested in seeing what the pros say to the problem caused by the "pros" that installed your pool.

It wont even out over time. If its a sand bottom it should have been either water barrel packed or mini tamped for a consistent bottom. Also to avoid deep footprints during liner install they should have been using weight displacing footwear. Also if your vac is a suction based system it can get caught in one of those potholes & actually cause a tear in the liner. Having installed & retro'd hundreds of AG pools the only way this can be fixed properly is to drain, pull the liner to the end of the skimmer & return(they can be left on) then have them Hand tamp & re trowel the entire bottom. Make sure when this happens there is sufficient coving either the styro or sand. From drain to refilling should only be a half day. When refilling if its by hydrant or water truck ensure that the water hits either the side of the pool to run down or a piece of stryo for the water to hit then disperse. These methods will prevent the water from causing divets in the pool bottom.

It wont even out over time. If its a sand bottom it should have been either water barrel packed or mini tamped for a consistent bottom. Also to avoid deep footprints during liner install they should have been using weight displacing footwear. Also if your vac is a suction based system it can get caught in one of those potholes & actually cause a tear in the liner. Having installed & retro'd hundreds of AG pools the only way this can be fixed properly is to drain, pull the liner to the end of the skimmer & return(they can be left on) then have them Hand tamp & re trowel the entire bottom. Make sure when this happens there is sufficient coving either the styro or sand. From drain to refilling should only be a half day. When refilling if its by hydrant or water truck ensure that the water hits either the side of the pool to run down or a piece of stryo for the water to hit then disperse. These methods will prevent the water from causing divets in the pool bottom.

thank you so much.. I thought that sounded like a load of bull when he told me that over the phone.. So it is sand under the liner, not sure why its messed up and I dont know how bad for sure as we have not been in the pool.. but I now suspect they did not tapped or packed down right? Im so angry.. Im going to wait until the water warms up and I can get in and feel around with my feet before I call them back and demand something for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my own pool so I thought I had done every thing to perfection, not so! While installing the liner there were minor "or so I thought" foot prints in the sand. It's been seven years and they are still there. I use a Aquabot to clean the intire pool and it does get in the dips. I had asked a question about leveling a Ester Williams pool, any sugestions?

• 2 weeks later...