Side Bulk And Crack In Fiberglass Pool

TurkLor

My fiberglass pool is about 20 years old. Last year we noticed excessive water loss and had the pool tested for leaks. The technician concluded that cracks around the main drain were the problem and applied some underwater patch. The pool started leaking again about 6 months later so I assumed it was the same cracks and the patch was no longer holding. I left the pool site unused for the last 6 months then drained it completely last week to fix the cracks.

After draining the pool I found that the side has a large bulge about 5 feet long and 2.5 feet tall located about half way down on the deep end (9ft) directly under the skimmer. I suspect that a leaky skimmer may have caused the bulge. I got a quote to repair and they was close to $3000 but I am almost broke.

I plan to cut out a rectangle of the fiberglass and try to fix this bulge myself. I hope that I can fix the skimmer plumbing as I have the pool side cut open. I am concerned about having a cave in once I remove the cutout. I expect that I should reinforce the opening somehow while I work and use hardy board as a backing to try and push the fiberglass back in to shape against the hardy board and patch it back together. I am using pool and spa fiberglass repair materials found at Lowes.

Can anyone give me advice on how to remove this budge and the patch it back up with a good fiberglass repair? Can anyone tell me if it is feasable to try and fix the leaky skimmer from underneath? My only other option is seems is to jack hammer the cement slab around the skimmer and dig it up from the top.

Thank you :rolleyes:

My fiberglass pool is about 20 years old. Last year we noticed excessive water loss and had the pool tested for leaks. The technician concluded that cracks around the main drain were the problem and applied some underwater patch. The pool started leaking again about 6 months later so I assumed it was the same cracks and the patch was no longer holding. I left the pool site unused for the last 6 months then drained it completely last week to fix the cracks.

After draining the pool I found that the side has a large bulge about 5 feet long and 2.5 feet tall located about half way down on the deep end (9ft) directly under the skimmer. I suspect that a leaky skimmer may have caused the bulge. I got a quote to repair and they was close to $3000 but I am almost broke.

I plan to cut out a rectangle of the fiberglass and try to fix this bulge myself. I hope that I can fix the skimmer plumbing as I have the pool side cut open. I am concerned about having a cave in once I remove the cutout. I expect that I should reinforce the opening somehow while I work and use hardy board as a backing to try and push the fiberglass back in to shape against the hardy board and patch it back together. I am using pool and spa fiberglass repair materials found at Lowes.

Can anyone give me advice on how to remove this budge and the patch it back up with a good fiberglass repair? Can anyone tell me if it is feasable to try and fix the leaky skimmer from underneath? My only other option is seems is to jack hammer the cement slab around the skimmer and dig it up from the top.

Thank you :rolleyes:

The $3k repair bill may not be so bad compared to the cost of making a mess of it yourself, then still having to get someone it

unnless you are experienced in laying fibreglass this can get really messy

opening the side can be like opening a big can of worms, if your skimmer has been leaking, the back section is going to be pretty messy, and will likely cave in once you cut the side out leaving you with a nice cavity to repair/fill

You should be able to glass patch the skimmer from the inside - apply the matt like a bandage with a light layer to seal it, that is providing it is definitly the skimmer and not a leak from the pipe itself or a cracked fitting underneath it