Spa Install

billhill

Hi guys,

I was just bitten by the spa bug and had a few questions. I am having trouble locating the answers to my questions on the forum and decided to post my own thread. I am looking to get a d1 amore and would like feedback on the install.

Do I go with a slab or crushed stone (its a pretty big spa)? I am trying to avoid equipotential bonding issues also.

The location would be just off the deck on the back of the house. The deck is more of a wood platform (decking about 6" above grade) resting on the ground. The only entrance into the spa would be right up against the side of the deck.

I would like to lay the powersource under the deck and wanted to know if I could lay the conduit above grade or sister it to the side of one of the joists. Or do I have to remove the deck boards and escavate 18" down. Incidently the joists are perpendicular to the house so it would be easy to snake the conduit under the deck and into the wall with an LB. I am thinking I need to transition at this point to romex.

The powersource would run inside the exterior wall, into the attic, along the ceiling joist and down into the main panel. The total linear distance from the spa to the main panel is about 20 feet. Do I need a kill switch in between the panel and the spa. I've read the 2005 NEC code and it says this is not needed in a single family dwelling.

I know this is longwinded but bear with me.

One other thing. There is a buried 220 line going to a shed. It is buried at 18" below grade about 5 feet from where the spa would be. Is this a problem or is it an issue only if the line is directly below the spa.

If it helps..........I am in Jersey.

thanks in advance

Hi guys,

I was just bitten by the spa bug and had a few questions. I am having trouble locating the answers to my questions on the forum and decided to post my own thread. I am looking to get a d1 amore and would like feedback on the install.

Do I go with a slab or crushed stone (its a pretty big spa)? I am trying to avoid equipotential bonding issues also.

The location would be just off the deck on the back of the house. The deck is more of a wood platform (decking about 6" above grade) resting on the ground. The only entrance into the spa would be right up against the side of the deck.

I would like to lay the powersource under the deck and wanted to know if I could lay the conduit above grade or sister it to the side of one of the joists. Or do I have to remove the deck boards and escavate 18" down. Incidently the joists are perpendicular to the house so it would be easy to snake the conduit under the deck and into the wall with an LB. I am thinking I need to transition at this point to romex.

The powersource would run inside the exterior wall, into the attic, along the ceiling joist and down into the main panel. The total linear distance from the spa to the main panel is about 20 feet. Do I need a kill switch in between the panel and the spa. I've read the 2005 NEC code and it says this is not needed in a single family dwelling.

I know this is longwinded but bear with me.

One other thing. There is a buried 220 line going to a shed. It is buried at 18" below grade about 5 feet from where the spa would be. Is this a problem or is it an issue only if the line is directly below the spa.

If it helps..........I am in Jersey.

thanks in advance

It is not recommended to put a spa directly on top of crushed stone, it could void the warranty from some manufactures. You can use crushed stone if you put spa pads. here is 1 company who nakes them http://www.ezpads.com/. All the spa manuals I ever read say a GFCI disconnect needs to be installed outside with the spa.

Also I see spas wired with wires in a conduit and wire rated to be outside, but is is always best to check with someone in your location