Colored Plaster

halapeno

I have had numerous pool plasterers come out and give me an estimate. Mostly the quotes for replastering the pool are pretty much the same.

However, when I ask about a light blue colored plaster the estimate goes up almost 80%. I am pretty sure that the existing plaster coat on my pool doesn't contain an additional "diamondkote" or some other mysterious additive and it lasted more than 20 years.

So far my choices are a) white or B) pay $1000 more for another color. Years ago, there was no additional charge for colorizing the plaster ... the builder just gave you a choice of colors and then went ahead and did his job.

Are modern day plasterers no longer able to mix a pigment into the plaster, or is just a scheme to increase profits.

I have had numerous pool plasterers come out and give me an estimate. Mostly the quotes for replastering the pool are pretty much the same.

However, when I ask about a light blue colored plaster the estimate goes up almost 80%. I am pretty sure that the existing plaster coat on my pool doesn't contain an additional "diamondkote" or some other mysterious additive and it lasted more than 20 years.

So far my choices are a) white or B) pay $1000 more for another color. Years ago, there was no additional charge for colorizing the plaster ... the builder just gave you a choice of colors and then went ahead and did his job.

Are modern day plasterers no longer able to mix a pigment into the plaster, or is just a scheme to increase profits.

:mellow: Most pool plastering company do not do Blue color plaster. Because of the blue pigment fades very fast, like within 90-180 days after plastering, and most customer don't like it after it done fading. You can try the 3-m blue for a blue tint to the plaster and to the water and it dose not fade out over time. <_<

Most companies have standard charges for upgrades, regardless of what kind. It exists in many industries, not just this one. It helps them make up for necessary losses in other areas to stay competitive. In addition, the colored plasters have a higher number of complaints, which are mostly related to normal variations in color, as well as issues with water chemistry which can cause variations in the color, mottling, etc. Ultimately, the choice is yours whether you feel the color is worth the cost. Since most of your estimates have been competitive, it sounds like normal charges for upgrade.

FYI, white plaster still gives you blue water. I haven't seen anyone mix colors (other than gray or black) into the white marble plaster. Typically, if you want colors, you will need to upgrade to a different plaster to achieve this (which is usually better than the marble). That is probably where the price difference is coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

blue pigments are very expensive and, as previously mentioned, do not hold their color for very long. Colored quartz does hold its color and if used in a high enough concentration, will have a similar appearance without the threat of fading. Streaking on a colored pool is normally caused by chemicals settling on the plaster that bleach out pigments. This is why you should pre-dilute all chems and broadcast with the filter running followed by a thorough brushing.