N2 And More Frequent Water Change

Sid H

Hi,

We are using the N2 cartridge, along with a small residual of dichlor, and weekly MPS shock.

Our water tends to start with high TDS, so the tub tends to build TDS over time. During warmer weather, I would like to change water more frequently. Can I drain/refill the tub about midway through the life of the N2 cartridge and reuse it for the second half of its life? Do I just keep the N2 wet until it goes back in?

Also, what is the best way to keep an N2/dichlor system maintained for a week or so if I am gone? Are there any kind of time-release dichlor products, or do I just need to have someone check the tub for me? I don't want to have it turn skunky from neglect. Or will I be OK assuming I have a good level of sanitizer to start with?

Thanks,

Sid

I use Nat 2, a small amount of dichlor, and non-chlorine shock after each use. You can drain and refill the tub with no problems from the Nat 2 cartridge... it will continue to work. If you want to test it to put your mind at ease, take a water sample to a pool / spa chemical retailer and have them test it for copper, etc.

If your TDS are high this will effect your water quality and you need to drain and refill the tub more often. I drain and refill every 30 +/- days.

The reality is that you can drain and refill your spa in an hour with a good sump pump and a 1 1/4 pool hose. New water is cheaper than all of the chemicals you may try to add to your spa to make it look or feel better.

I have also been draining every two months with N2 and continue to use the same cartridge (for 2 water changes). You do need to shock the new water after you balance it. If your tub does not have a lot of people using it, I think you can treat is as usual after your last use and not worry about it while on vacation. When you return, check the balance and add dichlor or MPS (depending on the N2 recipe you use). That is what I've done and it worked well. I've been using the dichlor only recipe only and no MPS. I add 3 tbs for the initial shock and then 2 tsp after each use. This time, I'm going to try the MPS recipe.

I will also say, yes...the nature 2 is still good if you do a water change in the middle. Rinse out the Nature 2 cartridge if you see any build up in it though, and as said, jump start the system again.

If you go away, I would suggest cleaning your filters really well, shock heavy with MPS, then shock with chlorine to bring you risdual up high. The MPS will oxidize any left over waste leaving the chlorine to do its job. You should have a slight risdual when you return if no one is using the tub.