4500 Kw Heater Element Easier On Spa Pack?

Brandan

I am replacing my non-functional heater element and noticed that the manual specification describes a 5500 KW heater - interestingly enough the spa service folks sent me a 4500 KW replacement. When I researched I noticed the following advice and am wondering if this is true? I will definitely get a spare this time - having to go 10 days without soaking is a crime!

For those that care my tub is of the "thermal pane" variety and is currently hovering around 68 degrees after 10 days up here in MN. Granted the number 1 pump has been running on low speed since the heater went out (it has been right around freezing or above during the day and then freezing at night for this time).

"The universal flow thru element is the most common heater element in use today. If you have a straight stainless steel manifold with union nuts on each end, this is the element that fits it. Available in 4500 or 5500 watt versions. 5500 watt version is normally used on spas with 50 Amp (230V) or 20 Amp (115V) circuit breakers. If your spa is running on 230V power, and has a digital control system with small heater relays mounted on the PC board, then it is HIGHLY recommended to install a 4-4.5KW element instead of the 5.5KW version because it will reduce significantly the contact loading on the relays, and can help extend the life of your control board. Generally, the only difference you will notice is a slightly longer time to heat up the spa water initially."

Thanks!

That is very good advise to reduce the load on those little relays. My 3 month old spa pack has already experienced a shorted high speed relay an open circuit low speed relay. When my 5.5KW heater fails I will take the advice given here.

I am replacing my non-functional heater element and noticed that the manual specification describes a 5500 KW heater - interestingly enough the spa service folks sent me a 4500 KW replacement. When I researched I noticed the following advice and am wondering if this is true? I will definitely get a spare this time - having to go 10 days without soaking is a crime!

For those that care my tub is of the "thermal pane" variety and is currently hovering around 68 degrees after 10 days up here in MN. Granted the number 1 pump has been running on low speed since the heater went out (it has been right around freezing or above during the day and then freezing at night for this time).

"The universal flow thru element is the most common heater element in use today. If you have a straight stainless steel manifold with union nuts on each end, this is the element that fits it. Available in 4500 or 5500 watt versions. 5500 watt version is normally used on spas with 50 Amp (230V) or 20 Amp (115V) circuit breakers. If your spa is running on 230V power, and has a digital control system with small heater relays mounted on the PC board, then it is HIGHLY recommended to install a 4-4.5KW element instead of the 5.5KW version because it will reduce significantly the contact loading on the relays, and can help extend the life of your control board. Generally, the only difference you will notice is a slightly longer time to heat up the spa water initially."

Thanks!

"If your spa is running on 230V power, and has a digital control system with small heater relays mounted on the PC board, then it is HIGHLY recommended to install a 4-4.5KW element instead of the 5.5KW version because it will reduce significantly the contact loading on the relays, and can help extend the life of your control board. Generally, the only difference you will notice is a slightly longer time to heat up the spa water initially."

Thanks!

You'll be perfectly fine with the 4.5KW heater. BTW, keep that pump on until you get the heater ready to install, from your description it sounds like its the reason your spa hasn't turned into a popsickle.