Spa Frog Users

Yunus

I am using an in-line Spa frog system and my bromine levels are not maintaing at all. I opened the frog to 6 2 days ago but I still have had to add mps both days. I shake the container and I can still hear things moving although its much lighter than a new one.

When do you know its time to change the bromine cartridge? Is there still some bromine in it when you do this?

I am using an in-line Spa frog system and my bromine levels are not maintaing at all. I opened the frog to 6 2 days ago but I still have had to add mps both days. I shake the container and I can still hear things moving although its much lighter than a new one.

When do you know its time to change the bromine cartridge? Is there still some bromine in it when you do this?

The standard Bromine Cartridges from Spa Frog are designed to last anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Finding the right adjustment on your Spa Frog cartridge can take a little time. It's all based on how often you use the spa, and how many people use it each time (this helps determine Bromine usage).

One thing I'd ask, since you're testing and finding low Bromine levels. Do your test strips indicate Zero Bromine? If so, can you SMELL the Bromine?

You could have one of four things going on:

1) Spa Usage may be using up the Bromine faster than it disolves from the Spa Frog cartridge.

Solution: Add Brominating Concentrate (powdered Bromine) to "Shock" your spa and raise Bromine residual.

2) If you have an Ozone system in your spa, it can deplete Bromine residual as fast as your Spa Frog cartridge can supply it, thereby keeping you at nearly Zero all the time.

Solution: Add Brominating Concentrate (powdered Bromine) to "Shock" your spa and raise Bromine residual.

3) If you smell the strong odor of Bromine being present, but the test strip shows Zero Bromine, you could have too much Bromine. If Bromine levels are well above 10ppm, it can actually "Bleach" test strips and force them to show a false Zero.

Solution: Reduce the setting on your Bromine Cartridge, and allow the Bromine levels to dissipate. Sunlight, leaving the cover off, and running the jets can help reduce the levels more quickly.

4) Your Bromine Catridge could very well just be empty.

Solution: Install a new Spa Frog Bromine Catridge

Ozone does not deplete Bromine, its an oxidizer, such as MPS and will re-establish used bromine.

I guess what I should say is that the Ozone will deplete the Chlorine content which is in the Bromine. So you're right, the Sodium Bromide will remain in the water and can indeed be reactivated.