Foam

twkennedy

The number 1 reason is soap in swimsuits, followed by personal hygiene products (hair stuff, make-up etc.)

Also, anti foam is only a temporary solution. It works by reducing the surface tension of the water so bubbles can't form...but it dissipates after a time.

SO.. i am pretty good my self at either no suit or use the suit i use all the time. It never goes in the wash. Is the foam harmful? Could it also be caused by high bromine or low ph? Its quite a job wrestling with this chemical mix. I posted a smaill video of what the foam looked like. This is the worst it has ever seen it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvEaKCA2Nzg...re=channel_page

It looks like soap risdual foam. When was your last water change? When did you last clean your filters and with what? Is the water cloudy at all?

High PH or ALK can cause foam, usually not low. Foam can also be cause by body oils, deoderant, lotion hair conditioners ect. Spa scents will also do this. As Doc said, defoamer does not remove the issue. If you are not due for a water change, you could try a clarifer, we recommend Sea Klear since it is all natural and does not clog your filter. This will help collect the small unfilterable particles that are causeing the foam making them larger so the filter can pick them up. After a few days, pull your filter and rinse really well. Do not use clarifiers if you are using the micron filters.

Scooping the foam out will help to get some out, but I never have good luck getting rid of all of it this way.

Thanks Hill

I am due for a water change in 3 weeks. I have been wrestling with the chems since i got the tub 3 months ago and had it pretty stable then this started. I clean the filter every month... i just wash it down with hose in the slop sink... I am going to do a more thorough cleaning .. any recommendations?

You are a riot. Right to the moon Alice...

Hi there.... Let me offer some advice from someone with 17 years in the hot tub business, hot tub owner and store owner...

-Organic contaminents will cause foam (body oils, sweat, lotions, etc etc... ) most bathing suits don't really carry enough soap to cause foam anyway so, don't sweat it so much... just keep one pair for the tub and rinse/wash in hot water only.

--Rinsing filters is crutial... but you need to use enough pressure: garden hose or kitchen tap is not enough... get your garden nozzle on and spray with jet pressure.

---Also... soaking filters is a MUST. Do it monthly to remove calcium and oils that are attached to the fibers of your filters.

---- Last but not least: Alkalinity. Contrairy to what some believe, Low Alkalinity WILL CAUSE FOAM! when the Alkalinity is bellow 100, it's closer to the acidic side of the scale and will cause a foaming, eno like effect. The water appears crystal clear when the jets are off but as soon as you turn them on high, you get this "eno" effect and it foams... Turn the pumps off and listen to the water...it fizzes... This is the No. 1 problems for most spa owners... They think that the water is fine because it's clear...and then, think that it's oils causing foam... IT'S NOT!

Keep your alkalinity over 100 and your problems are solved.

Christian

Faom from low PH/ALK will go away as soon as you turn off the jets and very rare that it will cause the bubble bath effect. This is a new tub, so there are oils in the plastics, plus all the other things that go with new tub owners.

I think your doing fine specially since you are very close to water change time.

Thanks for the concise explanation. I will be more diligent with filter cleaning, which i do every month. Alkalinity can be brought up with Baking Soda yes? I will be draining as Hillbilly says in a week or so. Is there a cleaning process i should go thru with the tub when it is empty? Keep in mind, i am in the North East and its pretty cold .. i am hoping that mother nature gives me a warm day when i drain.

Hi there.... Let me offer some advice from someone with 17 years in the hot tub business, hot tub owner and store owner...

-Organic contaminents will cause foam (body oils, sweat, lotions, etc etc... ) most bathing suits don't really carry enough soap to cause foam anyway so, don't sweat it so much... just keep one pair for the tub and rinse/wash in hot water only.

--Rinsing filters is crutial... but you need to use enough pressure: garden hose or kitchen tap is not enough... get your garden nozzle on and spray with jet pressure.

---Also... soaking filters is a MUST. Do it monthly to remove calcium and oils that are attached to the fibers of your filters.

---- Last but not least: Alkalinity. Contrairy to what some believe, Low Alkalinity WILL CAUSE FOAM! when the Alkalinity is bellow 100, it's closer to the acidic side of the scale and will cause a foaming, eno like effect. The water appears crystal clear when the jets are off but as soon as you turn them on high, you get this "eno" effect and it foams... Turn the pumps off and listen to the water...it fizzes... This is the No. 1 problems for most spa owners... They think that the water is fine because it's clear...and then, think that it's oils causing foam... IT'S NOT!

For more information on a product that fixes all this non-sence, go to: www.aquafinessecanada.ca

This is the only true One Step System!

Christian

Last but not least: Alkalinity. Contrairy to what some believe, Low Alkalinity WILL CAUSE FOAM! when the Alkalinity is bellow 100, it's closer to the acidic side of the scale and will cause a foaming, eno like effect. The water appears crystal clear when the jets are off but as soon as you turn them on high, you get this "eno" effect and it foams... Turn the pumps off and listen to the water...it fizzes... This is the No. 1 problems for most spa owners... They think that the water is fine because it's clear...and then, think that it's oils causing foam... IT'S NOT!

Sorry, I have to disagree with Christian here. My Total Alkalinity (TA) is 60 ppm, and I have ZERO foam. I do have bubbies when the jets/air are on, but no more then when my TA was 100 ppm (from the tap). These bubbies disappate within seconds, and are normal.

My advice is to NOT raise your TA unless your pH is too low. Otherwise, you will have water balance problems.