Sta-rite Pool Heater Problem

scottmtp

When power is first applied to my STA-RITE natural gas heater it first displays 180 and then r6. After a couple of seconds it goes blank and doesn't operate. I'm assuming the 180 followed by r6 are some sort of trouble codes. Might anybody know what these codes mean?

Thanks in advance.

There are some led's on the touch pad on the heater. Do you get any lights there? If not, there are 4 screws that hold the housing covers together. Take them off and then black disk on top (where the touch pad is). Look for two cotter pins holding the disk to the sheet metal, take the disk and turn it over and you'll see some led's on the board, See if you have and lights there. do this after you have tried to fire the heater. The 180 and the r6 are normal.

There are some led's on the touch pad on the heater. Do you get any lights there? If not, there are 4 screws that hold the housing covers together. Take them off and then black disk on top (where the touch pad is). Look for two cotter pins holding the disk to the sheet metal, take the disk and turn it over and you'll see some led's on the board, See if you have and lights there. do this after you have tried to fire the heater. The 180 and the r6 are normal.

The heater will not fire. The SPA and POOL buttons will not illuminate. Using the manual, I'm following the 'Heater Will Not Fire - A' troubleshooting schematic. I'm at the last part of jumping pins 9 and 8 on J6 to look for the SPA LED to come on and if that doesn't illuminate the jumping pins 9 and 7 on J6 to look for the POOL LED to come on. I have 120 VAC and 24 VAC everywhere its supposed to be. I'll let you know what happens....if anything.

Thanks

OK...I jumped pins 9 and 8 on J6 and the SPA light did come on which according to the trouble tree says to replace the membrane pad. I also jumped pins 9 and 7 on J6 and the POOL light came on so the control board should be good. When I check the parts list the membrane pad is listed as 42001-0055 and is Not available separately. I'm assuming this means I have to get a new plastic cover which has the membrane pad already in it. Any ideas where to purchase this and how much it will cost?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...