Ozone On/off

jdekan

How does the spa decide when to turn the ozonator on and off? I know the ozone generator shuts off when a user turns on the jets. But I would think that all other times, the ozone generator would be running if the circulation pump is running (which it does 24/7 unless the water temp exceeds the set temp). There are times when the circ pump is running (waterfall is on) but the ozone indicator on the control panel goes off, then later comes back on.

This is a 2008 Sundance Marin. Sundance customer support told me:

"The Ozone continues to work 24/7 along with the 24 hour circulation pump. The ozone symbol however does not always remain on."

Huh? Why would the symbol not remain on if the ozone generator is still working?

on sundance spas...

The board inside the spa senses amperage draw that ozonator pulls when it is on, turning the icon on.

so it should be an accurate indicator of if its working or not. but, I've seen quite a few working without turning the ozone icon on.

If I remember right, it's got something to do with the new cd ozonators being on the border line of drawing the amps it needs to light up the icon.

on sundance spas...

The board inside the spa senses amperage draw that ozonator pulls when it is on, turning the icon on.

so it should be an accurate indicator of if its working or not. but, I've seen quite a few working without turning the ozone icon on.

If I remember right, it's got something to do with the new cd ozonators being on the border line of drawing the amps it needs to light up the icon.

There are two "ports" on my ozone generator. One has a tube leading to the plumbing, and the other has nothign attached. My understanding from talking to the guy at the ozone manufacturer is that the unplugged port is a plain ambient air intake, and that whenever the circ pump runs, the venturi draws air from the intake, through the generator, and into the water return. If the generator is off, you'll still get air flow, just no ozone. So just because there are bubbles coming from the water return, that doesn't necessarily mean that those bubbles are ozone - they could be plain air.

So that leads to the question, why wouldn't it just stay on all the time? And does the generator control itself, or does the board control the generator?

So that leads to the question, why wouldn't it just stay on all the time? And does the generator control itself, or does the board control the generator?

Ozone can be stripped from the water by either jets or waterfall. Turns out some ozone is made by waterfalls too. Ozone stripped from water is a breathing hazard.

Obviously, since the generator is turning on and off, the generator is being controlled. Most likely "the board" is doing this... it would be too expensive to have two "bosses".