Jacuzzi J-465 - Wholesale Cost

lighthouse206

I am thinking of purchasing a J-465 prior to the end of the year. I'm also considering some much less expensive models, included the dreaded Costco tubs. The J-465 appeals to me because I suspect it has far superior insulation and higher quality components (can anyone comment on the stereo)?

I've also bought my fair share of other big ticket items (such as cars) and have found it's quite possible to typically pay about $500 - $1000 over wholesale cost for such items, including most luxury cars with the primary challenge being to determine the real "invoice" price. Given the status of the economy I suspect such deals are possible for higher end tubs right now, as well.

At the Jacuzzi dealer yesterday it was quite obvious they are extremely desperate to make a sale. They initially quoted me something in the ballpark of $14K for this tub with stereo, ozone, coverlifter, etc. Then offered me a "sale" price of $12K. When I said I wouldn't go higher than $10K the dealer basically accepted (said he needed to check with his boss). Note I didn't make an offer, just said what my current maximum would likely be. They do not have any in stock and would have to order my unit.

So basically we went from $14K to $10K in about five minutes. They are big regional store with I suspect large volume discounts and their own electricians on staff.

Anyone know what these tubs actually cost these guys? I'm thinking about half of the "list" price of $14K, so in the neighborhood of $7-$8K. If so, then I'm thinking I could get one for $9K for less? Appreciate any thoughts on this.

BTW, I fully realize spa dealers are trying to make a living just like anyone else, I also think that in a market where very little luxury items are selling that a profit of $500 - $1000 is fair and appropriate. I'm a business owner myself and I'm certainly accepting lower profits in light the economy...

Good luck with getting dealer costs. The only way to get this information is to open your own store. I don't think there's as much profit as you think with the premium lines. I'm not in the spa business by the way.

Each dealer will have different selling points depending on overhead etc. This transaction is going to be much harder for you compared to buying a big screen tv or new car. I would be leery of a dealership that would drop their price 4K in five minutes.

I just bought a Jacuzzi J-280 for $7K with LEDs, cover, lift, steps and all.

I would expect the better deals are the in stock or display units. The ones the money is already laid out for so they might be motivated to break even and move onto another model for display. Why make an order to just break even, or make a tiny margin. Good luck and I can imagine there aren't a lot of people lining up right now for a tub. use it to your advantage.

I am thinking of purchasing a J-465 prior to the end of the year. I'm also considering some much less expensive models, included the dreaded Costco tubs. The J-465 appeals to me because I suspect it has far superior insulation and higher quality components (can anyone comment on the stereo)?

I've also bought my fair share of other big ticket items (such as cars) and have found it's quite possible to typically pay about $500 - $1000 over wholesale cost for such items, including most luxury cars with the primary challenge being to determine the real "invoice" price. Given the status of the economy I suspect such deals are possible for higher end tubs right now, as well.

At the Jacuzzi dealer yesterday it was quite obvious they are extremely desperate to make a sale. They initially quoted me something in the ballpark of $14K for this tub with stereo, ozone, coverlifter, etc. Then offered me a "sale" price of $12K. When I said I wouldn't go higher than $10K the dealer basically accepted (said he needed to check with his boss). Note I didn't make an offer, just said what my current maximum would likely be. They do not have any in stock and would have to order my unit.

So basically we went from $14K to $10K in about five minutes. They are big regional store with I suspect large volume discounts and their own electricians on staff.

Anyone know what these tubs actually cost these guys? I'm thinking about half of the "list" price of $14K, so in the neighborhood of $7-$8K. If so, then I'm thinking I could get one for $9K for less? Appreciate any thoughts on this.

BTW, I fully realize spa dealers are trying to make a living just like anyone else, I also think that in a market where very little luxury items are selling that a profit of $500 - $1000 is fair and appropriate. I'm a business owner myself and I'm certainly accepting lower profits in light the economy...

With the current economy crisis most of your luxury items will be as discounted as possible. Over the next few months you may see some hot tub manufactures vanish. As to the radio when I ordered my latest hot tub (a Vita Cabaret) in October it was an $800.00 option. I can run a few speakers outside and get better sound for less money. That $800.00 could mean a better model if you want one.

Last week I purchased the J 480 fully loaded with stereo, I-Pod, cover lift, steps, delivery and set up, etc. for 9K in Northern California. I feel like we got a great deal and are loving the spa as well as enjoying the stereo. Good luck!

Last week I purchased the J 480 fully loaded with stereo, I-Pod, cover lift, steps, delivery and set up, etc. for 9K in Northern California. I feel like we got a great deal and are loving the spa as well as enjoying the stereo. Good luck!

Wow very good info. Did you have to negotiate this or did they just offer it to you? What store if you don't mind me asking? Was this a special order or did they have the tub in stock? Thanks much!

Jacuzzi and Sundance want their dealers to make a 40% margin and sale at MSRP. SO find out what the MSRP and deduct 40%. Next add $250-$400 for shipping and that should be a very accurate number of what they paid. (I am a former Sundance dealer and almost started selling Jacuzzi 2 years ago.) I discounted a lot compared to any other dealer but would never drop below a $2500.00 profit margin. If the customer wanted to haggle I always suggest another hot tub store since I was always at least a thousand below any other Sundance Spa dealership.

Wow very good info. Did you have to negotiate this or did they just offer it to you? What store if you don't mind me asking? Was this a special order or did they have the tub in stock? Thanks much!

We went to Spa Scapes in Rocklin, Ca (They have a website) They had the tub in stock and we really didn't have to negotiate that much. We made it pretty clear when we came in that we had been shopping, knew what features we wanted and if we needed to wait we would. They have an excellent reputation around the area and the owner is coming over tomorrow to check in, review the tub and chemical again and answer any questions we might have. As first time owners, it is nice to know that there is someone out there who gives great customer service.