New Tub, N2, Ozanator: What Formula?

Kiz

I bought a new tub and it's being delivered in 6 days. (can't wait!) I had my old tub for 9 years and it held up well, but I want to do things perfect with the new tub.

The new tub has a built-in ozanator. I also am considering using the N2 product so I can use less chemicals. I read Nitro's water management system. It was a great read, and I appreciate that he took the time to post it. How does an ozanator and the N2 change what he wrote?

Thanks.

Hi Kiz, welcome to the forums.

For the most part the Water Balance section applies regardless of the sanitation method. Your ozonator will add more air to the tub, therefore increasing pH rise (creep). Also, it would be good for you to learn to use chlorine too. If you want to use the N2 system, at least you'll have a good understanding of water sanitation in general.

I'm not an expert on the N2 system, so maybe some others can weigh in also. From what I know you still need to keep some (1-2 ppm) Free Chlorine (FC) in your tub. Also, IMO, I wouldn't trust the N2 system alone if you have high bather loads. i.e. a lot of people in your tub or long soaks. The good news is you can use the N2 system with low FC when it's just a couple/few people in the tub for a short time. Then if you have a high bather load you can just add more chlorine (3-6 ppm FC). Afterward, just let FC drop back to 1-2 ppm.

If I had a problem with chlorine, I'd use the N2 system. But to be honest, if you maintain your chlorine levels properly, you can't even tell you have chlorine in the water. I have guests complement me on my fresh/non-chlorine smelling water all the time. I've converted four friends to using the Dichlor/Bleach method. Two came from using Bromine, one came from using a Copper System similar to N2, and the other was using pool chlorine (Trichlor, that's not good to use in hot tubs).

Hope that helps.

I don't know about ozone, but I use N2 and an electronic copper ionizer. I follow the N2 manual and have had no problems since Oct. I add 2 tsp dichlor per bather after each use which is 2-3 times per week. This is in an all cedar tub and low chlorine is the preferred method so, I don't use MPS. It had not been shocked in about 3-wks. There was some nasty foam building up from body oils and probably soap when the jets and air were on. I shocked it just about 20-min ago with 3tbs dichlor.

This tub was set up in Oct and instead of using a quick curing procedure, I elected to just let it cure slowly. That means the tannic acid from the cedar leaches into the tub and turns the water the color of tea. That is harmless and even though it has that color, the water is still clear and not cloudy. It does lower pH. Using the N2 and low chlorine method, we've not had any issues with sanitizer levels. I do keep an eye on pH and usually run some air with the jets during normal filter cycles and when the heater is on. We're going to go over 60F a few days this week and I'm going to drain and refill later in the week.

• 1 month later...
Hi Kiz, welcome to the forums.

For the most part the Water Balance section applies regardless of the sanitation method. Your ozonator will add more air to the tub, therefore increasing pH rise (creep). Also, it would be good for you to learn to use chlorine too. If you want to use the N2 system, at least you'll have a good understanding of water sanitation in general.

I'm not an expert on the N2 system, so maybe some others can weigh in also. From what I know you still need to keep some (1-2 ppm) Free Chlorine (FC) in your tub. Also, IMO, I wouldn't trust the N2 system alone if you have high bather loads. i.e. a lot of people in your tub or long soaks. The good news is you can use the N2 system with low FC when it's just a couple/few people in the tub for a short time. Then if you have a high bather load you can just add more chlorine (3-6 ppm FC). Afterward, just let FC drop back to 1-2 ppm.

If I had a problem with chlorine, I'd use the N2 system. But to be honest, if you maintain your chlorine levels properly, you can't even tell you have chlorine in the water. I have guests complement me on my fresh/non-chlorine smelling water all the time. I've converted four friends to using the Dichlor/Bleach method. Two came from using Bromine, one came from using a Copper System similar to N2, and the other was using pool chlorine (Trichlor, that's not good to use in hot tubs).

Hope that helps.

I am a newbie and have had my hot tub for 4/5 months... I was using bromine but my husband would get a rash if he used the tub to much.... I dumped the tub 2 weeks ago and am now using chlorine. I am having trouble keeping the level of chlorine right.

What chlorine do you use? I have a tiger river (bangal) hot tub... I think its aprrox 350 gal?? I am using HTH chlorine... and I test with test strips.

Any advice you or anyone else can give me would be a great help... :lol:

thank you all for any help... I love this site... :D

Hollygirl,

When you say you are "having trouble keeping the level of chlorine right", do you mean trouble keeping it up above 1 ppm?

Actually, I use plain ol' Clorox Bleach in my hottub. The method I use is explained in detail here. There's a lot of info in there, so it would probably be better if you read it first, then come back here if you have questions.