Foam Pad Under Tub?

pg_rider

Anyone ever try or recommend putting some sort of foam pad under your tub to deaden noise and maybe provide some insulation? We're putting our tub on a concrete pad which I understand should be quieter than a wood deck, but for not a lot of money I could put a hi-density foam pad underneath for even further damping and maybe some insulation from the cold concrete. I use this stuff under my home gym and it's very dense, and I can feel the heat retention when I lay on it.

Anyone think this would be a BAD idea?

Here's what I would use:

http://www.getrung.com/index.html

IPB Image

I can't think of a reason it would be a bad idea - there is a lot of weight involved in a filled spa, so be sure the pad you choose is up to the task.

Also, you might have some deterioration over time around the edges if it gets direct sunlight. I would find some way to cover it - perhaps with some wooden trim or something.

Other than that, I think it would be a plus.

B)

I put 1" foam insulatiion (blue styrofoam on houses) under mine and I haven't had any problems. It is on my deck, then I put down 1/2" marine grade MDO plywood, then the foam, then the hot tub. It seems to be fine and I'm sure it hasn't hurt with a little extra insulation.

Anyone ever try or recommend putting some sort of foam pad under your tub to deaden noise and maybe provide some insulation? We're putting our tub on a concrete pad which I understand should be quieter than a wood deck, but for not a lot of money I could put a hi-density foam pad underneath for even further damping and maybe some insulation from the cold concrete. I use this stuff under my home gym and it's very dense, and I can feel the heat retention when I lay on it.

Here's what I would use:

http://www.getrung.com/index.html

IPB Image

Weather conditions where you live, in particular rain, will cause a lot of mold if you don't allow for air to pass under the spa. If you place the foam in strips, as long as the spa has enough structure to work that way, then even in Seattle it is a good idea.

You may want to look at one of the spa pads.

They are made to support spa on ground without deck or concrete.

If you prevent cold /heat transfer from concrete to tub you should be helping out on your energy usage although it will be a rather small savings.