Cloudy Water

Jo, please keep us udated on you and your tub.

I will, I like this place, I can learn alot hanging around here. I have a question, now that the tub has been super sanitized and the levels of sanitizer are high, would that kill everything /anything that was growing in there?? I asked my dealer about bleach and he looked at me with a horrified look. Can we still use the tub when the sanitizer is so high?? we were told to add 5 capfuls.

I will, I like this place, I can learn alot hanging around here. I have a question, now that the tub has been super sanitized and the levels of sanitizer are high, would that kill everything /anything that was growing in there?? I asked my dealer about bleach and he looked at me with a horrified look. Can we still use the tub when the sanitizer is so high?? we were told to add 5 capfuls.

Don't bother talking to your dealer about bleach. If he's like most, he doesn't have a clue about the difference between bleach and Dichlor, which is nothing after entering the water. He's just telling you what he was taught, which is wrong.

I wouldn't use the tub with FC > 8 ppm (CYA < 30), but that's just me. How high did you shock your tub? Keep in mind, for every 10 ppm FC you add to your tub with Dichlor, you're adding 9 ppm CYA. CYA is ideally between 20-50 ppm. When CYA gets over 100 it seriously starts to lower the effectivness of the chlorine. That's the main reason why we switch to bleach after using Dichlor for a week. Bleach doesn't add any CYA.

Don't bother talking to your dealer about bleach. If he's like most, he doesn't have a clue about the difference between bleach and Dichlor, which is nothing after entering the water. He's just telling you what he was taught, which is wrong.

I wouldn't use the tub with FC > 8 ppm (CYA < 30), but that's just me. How high did you shock your tub? Keep in mind, for every 10 ppm FC you add to your tub with Dichlor, you're adding 9 ppm CYA. CYA is ideally between 20-50 ppm. When CYA gets over 100 it seriously starts to lower the effectivness of the chlorine. That's the main reason why we switch to bleach after using Dichlor for a week. Bleach doesn't add any CYA.

After analyzing the water he told me to put in lots of sanitizer, and only about 3/4 of a capful which would be about 2 tbs I guess. But he had me put in 5 capfuls of sanitizer. Sanitizer is still showing as very very high.

First, the clarifier was most likly what clogged the filter. It took all the smaller particles and clumped them together into larger ones so the filter could trap it which is how it clarifies the water. Most of them are made from an oil based polymer which cause a vasoline like substance on the filter, some are not, such as Sea Klear.

second, if you use a clarifier, you must have the filter in. The filter should be in at all times unless you are using a swirl-away or jet clean product at a water change.

Third, you should still look and see what the chemical componets are, specially since you are using thes in the tub. It is not just knowing what you need, but at this point knowing what you put in can affect what you need.

Not all of us in the industry don't understand the bleach method, the look of hooror may have been....this person is new to this tub chemistry stuff and bleach is the last route she should go, or if you bought the tub there....jeeze, I hope I did not hear that because if we have to service the tub and know she is using the bleach, we are suppose to tell the manufacturer.

As far as the high sanitizer, since it is chlorine it will gas off over time, you can try opening the cover and running the jets, it should not take to long since chlorine dissipates very quickly in hot water.

Not all of us in the industry don't understand the bleach method, the look of hooror may have been....

Instead of giving her a look of horror, the dealer could have took the opportunity to teach her the correct way to use it. But I digress.

But I agree dealers have their hands tied when it comes to warranties. I blame that on the manufactures. Actually, the manufacture could easliy change the warranty to read, "If bleach is used with NO CYA present it will void the warranty", and solve the problem. But the whole thing is silly, because the only way a manufacture would know bleach was used is if there were no CYA present.

• 2 months later...

Regarding the milky water look when jets are turned on......

Just logging into the forum for the first time. Have been checking online for weeks trying to find the answer to the same problem you had. This was the only hit about the milky water when jets come on. I have the exact problem as you described. Clears up in minutes (or less) when jets go off. When on, gross milky water like someone poured gallons of milk in the water. All chemical balance is right on. Everyone I ask at dealers and shops are baffled. Did you find a solution??? thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Well......I've gotta say, I've only had my tub 2 months and was in the same boat as Joanne was, except my water stayed milky after the jets were off. I too live in Calgary, and think I go to the same dealer as she does. I also use the Proclear system. (Nature 2 is actually stamped on the cartridge) I had the same problems, that once I did my "weekly maintenance", (add scum free, the super clarifier, the secure) that my water started turning milky. I'd do what they said by adding more sanitize to get things somewhat cleared up, but would get milky after a few days again. Still......all readings were perfect!

This last week, I met someone new at the dealer, and he recommended I use 100ml of Wham-O to get rid of any algae or living thing in my tub. I did buy my tub used from the dealer, so maybe it wasn't disinfected properly before delivery. Anyways........next morning......low and behold.......clear water, like I just refilled the tub!!!! No problem since, and now I HAVE NOT been using the scum free, the super clarifier, or the secure each week. I only shock before and after each soak, and has been great so far!!!

But I'm still crossing my fingers!

If anyone else is experiencing cloudy water.......try Wham-O or something similar. If something is growing in your tub, this stuff does the trick.