Replacement Filter Needed

wyocarey

I have an in-ground, in-door pool that is ~16' X ~ 33' with a 24" Hayward sand filter (maybe 20 years old???) and 1.5 HP Whisperflow pump. The sand filter started leaking around the dome and appears that the fiberglass is cracking. It leaks only when the system is on and then it is probably 1-2 gallons an hour. I have a towel wrapped around the top to keep it from shooting a jet of water onto a 220 sub-panel....(probably wouldn't pass code). I'm not sure exactly how much water is actually in there. (4 feet in shallow end, 9 foot in deep end) and being an indoor pool, I don't get a lot of dirt, leaves, etc. It's mostly a few centipedes and a little algae. Bather load is pretty light accept at party time!!!

What sized filter do I need and should I go cartridge, sand or DE? I've gotten a lot of brochures, but they all say they are the best way to go.

Any help or (serious) suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mike in Casper, Wy

Mike,

I have found that sand filters work pretty good for the most part. DE filters in most cases filter the pool down to the smallest microns. The down side to the DE is having to clean and maintain them and the fact that you have to dispose of the DE that you backwash out. A cartridge filter would work ok for you but they don't filter the water near as good as the sand or DE and you have to dis-assemble and clean them on a regular basis. Considering your situation I would stick to the sand filter. As far as what size you need, you need to get a rough idea how many gallons you have and decide from there the size of your filter.

P.S. How's the weather in Casper these days? I have a daughter in Cody.

Mike,

I have found that sand filters work pretty good for the most part. DE filters in most cases filter the pool down to the smallest microns. The down side to the DE is having to clean and maintain them and the fact that you have to dispose of the DE that you backwash out. A cartridge filter would work ok for you but they don't filter the water near as good as the sand or DE and you have to dis-assemble and clean them on a regular basis. Considering your situation I would stick to the sand filter. As far as what size you need, you need to get a rough idea how many gallons you have and decide from there the size of your filter.

P.S. How's the weather in Casper these days? I have a daughter in Cody.

Thx for input. That's how I'm leaning, too. Any idea where I can find out how many gallons are in there? Or how many turn-overs I should expect in 8-12 hours? or need?

It's been a great Fall here. We had a few snows in early October but nothing that stayed - and lot's of nice 50-60's in the last 30-45 days. Just to the NE of us, big snow storms in last few days....a little rain here the last 2 days - but we really need it to relieve drought conditions. Love Cody....who wouldn't? Where are you located and why is daughter in Cody?