Foam And Brown Film

twkennedy

Hi all New to the Hot Tub World New to the forum. Recently bought a Sundance Certa 780 Spa. Having great time with it but wish i payed closer attention in science class. I am wrestling with the PH Bromine but its a challenge and i think i was getting it down then the dreaded Foam showed up. I used a de foamer and it vanished very quickly only to reappear later in a smaller quantity but bringing a brown film with it. So any health concerns with this? What is it? How do you deal with it? The tub is fun but more work than i thought.

Thanks

The foam and film are from soaps, shampoos, lotions, deodorants, makeup etc.

The reason the film is brown is iron in the water absorbs into it. Do you have well water?

Here are some steps to rid the problem.

Clean the water line with baking soda and a wet rag.

Turn on all jets and air, then skim the foam off the surface. It will take a few days of doing it, but will reduce it.

Use Spa Klear clearifier. It will help clump up the stuff and deposit it on your filiter. Clean your filiter a day or two later.

Use a pre-filiter when filling your tub the next time. It will reduce metals in the water.

Lastly, make everyone take showers, without putting anything (deodorant etc.) on before entering the tub. Wear no swimsuits in the tub, but if you do don't ever wash them.

Happy tubbing

Added note, using baking soda to clean the sides will effect your ALK/PH...maybe try a plain paper towel first.

High PH and Alk will increase the foaming.

Sea Klear also has metal removers in it which will help with the iron issue.

Added note, using baking soda to clean the sides will effect your ALK/PH...maybe try a plain paper towel first.

High PH and Alk will increase the foaming.

Sea Klear also has metal removers in it which will help with the iron issue.

Over the years I also have had a brown film. Mine is not from iron but from my well water filtering through brown shale. I have used the very same techinique as stated above. Bring the film to the top in bubbles then skim it away. After I do this I no longer have the problem again until the next water change.

I don't know about the No Swim Suit deal. Having a teenager daughter in the house. Dont want to make that a rule. But thanks for all the other answers and suggestions i will give it a try. I did clean the filter the other day. Did have a bit of brown build up on it gave it a good cleaning. I have used the spa brite and defoamer which worked great.

I don't know about the No Swim Suit deal. Having a teenager daughter in the house. Dont want to make that a rule. But thanks for all the other answers and suggestions i will give it a try. I did clean the filter the other day. Did have a bit of brown build up on it gave it a good cleaning. I have used the spa brite and defoamer which worked great.

If you wear swimsuits, just don't wash them. They don't need washing anyway. You and the suits are much cleaner getting out of the pool then going in.

Happy tubbing.

Roger that. Another question. Spa De Foamer. If i apply it do i have to wait any length of time till i get in the tub?

My GUESS is no, I would think it's safe. I heard of guys putting it into a spray bottle and spraying just the foam when it happens, while they're in the tub. However, I don't use the stuff, so maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can weigh in on it.

The only time I've had a foam problem was when I accidentally put some TSP in the tub when I was shocking it. I'd used the same measuring cup earlier when I was washing the roof and there was just a little TSP still left in the cup. Boy did it bubble and foam! I just scooped the foam off the top until there wasn't any left. That was two months ago, no problems since.

Dave

Well i shot a couple of drops in , de foamer, when my daughter was in there. She didnt burn up or explode.. i am sure not a good idea....but was curious. Enjoying the tub... but wow its more work than i thought...but so far worth it...

The only time I've had a foam problem was when I accidentally put some TSP in the tub when I was shocking it. I'd used the same measuring cup earlier when I was washing the roof and there was just a little TSP still left in the cup. Boy did it bubble and foam! I just scooped the foam off the top until there wasn't any left. That was two months ago, no problems since.

Dave

Well i shot a couple of drops in , de foamer, when my daughter was in there. She didnt burn up or explode.. i am sure not a good idea....but was curious. Enjoying the tub... but wow its more work than i thought...but so far worth it...

No problem using the spa right after using a foam down product. Just have to realize that foam downs are bandaid fixes and don't do anything to eliminate the cause of the foam. They just temporarily reduce the amount of foam in the water.