Now That It's Cooler Do I Still Shock Once A Week?

sjt2900

Are we talking about a hot tub? Isn't the temperature always the same unless you change it? I don't think the directions are talking about the outside weather temperature, pretty sure they would be talking about the water temp. Although I don't think it matters much anyway.

Definitely talking water temp.

Hey Tony,

The reason why you only have to shock the water every other week when the temp is bellow 85 is because certian bacteria and harmfully algeas/fungus rarely survive in tempatures bellow 85. most harmfull bacterias need a host that is above 98 degrees to fully flurish. This is why you need to shock more frequently when the water tempature is higher. over shocking is not a bad thing the "shock" is a shock because it is intense and short lasting.

bri the pool guy

bbarrell@ferraripools.com

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm talking about a 500 gallon spa. I really thought it meant outside temperature, although it doesn't specify. So are you saying it's not outside temp, but temp of the spa? We have been keeping our spa temp at 102, so I guess I would continue shocking weekly. But if it means outside temp, here in the midwest, the highs have only been in the low 60's, so that would make a difference. Or would it? I"m confused.

I spoke with a pool/spa chemical sales rep and I asked her the same question regarding temp. Some chemical companies use the same label for both pool and spa products because of the hassle of gov't regs to change label info. Hot tubs are always hot so follow directions for hot temp only and disregard the reference to cool temps. FWIW, I shock once per week and no problems.

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm talking about a 500 gallon spa. I really thought it meant outside temperature, although it doesn't specify. So are you saying it's not outside temp, but temp of the spa? We have been keeping our spa temp at 102, so I guess I would continue shocking weekly. But if it means outside temp, here in the midwest, the highs have only been in the low 60's, so that would make a difference. Or would it? I"m confused.

Yes, continue shocking weekly. The temperature being referenced is the water temp and not the outside air temp.