Nordic Xl Insulation & Pump/motor Noise

PFamily

I very much like our new Nordic XL. It came with a single 2 stage motor and Ozinator. The pump noise even at low speed is a bit annoying because it's located under my bedroom window, installed on an 8" new cement pad. It appears much of the noise is from the side walls. I also live in upstate New York - it will be cold in the winter. Has anyone tried installing extra insulation in the side walls? I would think it would dampen the noise and cut electric costs. I think I may be able slip a thin aluminum coated insulation or equivalent using a straight pull wire pressing around the outside. Alternatively, I wonder if it may be possible to remove some of the side panel to glue or staple them. Is that possible? Ideas?

PFamily

My Caldera spa is fully foamed, but it has 1" Styrofoam panels glued to the inside of the access panel to the machinery space, I suspect it is for noise control, as well as for insulating the exposed plumbing. It is very quiet.

I can't see that it would hurt to add foam for sound insulation to any spa.

Dave

1: Consider turning the tub around so the pump is at the other end

2: make sure the tub does not make contact with the wall of your house (contactnoise)

3: Put some rubberpadds or something like it under the spa, reducing contactnoise.

4: Consider making the sidepanels thicker using wood or something heavy as only heavy materials will do a good job in sound insulation.

5: Search for insulation in the forum for tips on heat insulation.

6: MAke sure the cabinett doors are airtight at the window side (using insulation strips) this will help insulation as well.

I too, have a Nordic XL. I agree there is a dull humming noise when the recirculation pump or heater comes on, but I guess you get used to it. I can hear it kick on but then, I don't even hear the pump.

Have you tried to adjust the two large jets (the two that create the whirlpool effect)?

I place the two of them in a "middle-neutral" position so that minimal water comes out of any of the side jets, and about an equal amount of water comes out both the big jets. It makes it quiet enough that I can hear the bears or skunks sneak up on me!!

Try that, see if it works. I'd be curious if you can resolve the noise problem.

Good luck... B)

I too, have a Nordic XL. I agree there is a dull humming noise when the recirculation pump or heater comes on, but I guess you get used to it. I can hear it kick on but then, I don't even hear the pump.

Have you tried to adjust the two large jets (the two that create the whirlpool effect)?

I place the two of them in a "middle-neutral" position so that minimal water comes out of any of the side jets, and about an equal amount of water comes out both the big jets. It makes it quiet enough that I can hear the bears or skunks sneak up on me!!

Try that, see if it works. I'd be curious if you can resolve the noise problem.

Good luck... B)

Thanks for all the ideas. Quick notations:

* Tub is 18" from side wall of house with pump pointing away from house

* Don't feel any vibration at the cement but I definely hear the noise from the cabinet, only a slight amount from the top making me believe the insulation is the solution

* Tried the jet idea - it certainly calms down the water but not pump unfortunately

* Pump is secure

* I ran a trace wire around the bottom of tub to see if it was clear - it passed all around so I can pull insulation through the wall without attempting to dissembling the sidewalls as I hear they are fixed in place and not removable - so says Nordic factor tech (nice people by the way)

* So, that leaves me with finding 3' high roll type encased thin insulation in something like aluminum about 21' long. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

* In the meantime I took 4 basement 4x8 flexible ceiling tiles and placed 2 to the 4' side inside the door long ways and two upper and lower on 4' side with overlap in the front of the door. It starts to dampen the noise slightly. I am thinking if I get a box of ceiling tiles, cut them to 3' high and bind them together [ ideas? snake wire through top and bottom? sailing thread? ] I can easily push them around the inside cabinet perimeter. Then if still an issue, at next water change put a rubber mat between the tub and the cement pad. I'm even thinking using a solar pool cover on the water thinking it may even help insulate more for the northeastern winters - silly?

PFamily

Pfamily:

Is it the pump itself that is making all the noise or the vibration from the walls when the pump is running? The 2" water supply hose in my tub came free of the blow-in insulation, just inside the removable panel and it made a heinous vibration noise, because it was leaning against the inside cabinet. I moved it off of the inside cabinet and it is much more quiet and I will attempt to re-adhere the hose with more blow-in insulation. (not that this is the same problem you are experiencing)

How about using one of those egg crate memory foam bed pads to line the inside and absorb some of the noise? I think you can buy different thickness so you could move the pad around inside the panel.

Just a suggestion...good luck.

Let us know what works best....if all else fails...turn up the tv volume or get ear plugs!

Pfamily:

Is it the pump itself that is making all the noise or the vibration from the walls when the pump is running? The 2" water supply hose in my tub came free of the blow-in insulation, just inside the removable panel and it made a heinous vibration noise, because it was leaning against the inside cabinet. I moved it off of the inside cabinet and it is much more quiet and I will attempt to re-adhere the hose with more blow-in insulation. (not that this is the same problem you are experiencing)

How about using one of those egg crate memory foam bed pads to line the inside and absorb some of the noise? I think you can buy different thickness so you could move the pad around inside the panel.

Let us know what works best....if all else fails...turn up the tv volume or get ear plugs!

Good idea - I'm stuborn enough to get my headlight out and check the connections again before bed... but if not, definitely in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion. It's really not bad and I wouldn't want this little nuance to disuade anyone from the Nordic XL [great value and wonderful freedom in the style of tub], just that I'm such a difficult person to go to sleep. Doesn't seem to bother my wife however so perhaps I will get as use to this as the train a few miles away...

PFamily

Pfamily:

Good idea - I'm stuborn enough to get my headlight out and check the connections again before bed... but if not, definitely in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion. It's really not bad and I wouldn't want this little nuance to disuade anyone from the Nordic XL [great value and wonderful freedom in the style of tub], just that I'm such a difficult person to go to sleep. Doesn't seem to bother my wife however so perhaps I will get as use to this as the train a few miles away...

PFamily

The job didn't go as planned but I believe I was able to sneak wall insulation throughout the walls of the tub, most of way around the tub. The motor runs a lot less and somewhat quieter. I had to install a brace to keep the insulation off of the motor. The only concern is the ozonator. The insulation is loose near it and while the oz is mounted on the outside wall I wonder if it may be too cold in the winter because it no longer has the warmth from the motor, or if it needs more air between the insulation and itself. Any thoughts?

PFamily