Are "stainless" Jets Worth It?

spa_newb

If you plan to use bleach, I'd stay away from stainless. Bleach will corrode stainless steel. While I think it would look nice, it does seem odd that a spa manufacturer would offer them.

WHAT?! This is news to me!! How long would it take before you would start to see the corrosion? I'm asking b/c I have been using chem geek's "start with dichlor then switch to bleach when the cya gets to a certain level" sanitizing system for almost a year now with great success (and we have gone 6 months between water changes, but we only use the spa about twice a week). I have not noticed any corrosion, or even discoloration, on any of the stainless jets and I doubt that my Costco tub jets are made of especially high quality stainless. BTW, count me as someone who likes the stainless look on a spa.

Sandi

If you plan to use bleach, I'd stay away from stainless. Bleach will corrode stainless steel. While I think it would look nice, it does seem odd that a spa manufacturer would offer them.

I just googled "bleach corroding stainless steel" and found these references:

1. (www.checa.us)

Why Stainless Steel Screws Corrode?

Raw stainless steel alloy (active) gains its rust protection instantly when exposed to oxygen (passivation), either air or water. We then say the stainless steel is "passive". The Chrome in it forms chrome oxide that is very resistant to rust.

Unlike aluminum oxide (the white dust) this protective layer is invisible but is easily penetrated and destroyed by any halogen salt like fluorine, chlorine, etc. Bleach is based on chlorine, drinking water is treated with chlorine, and seawater contains chlorine.

But stainless steel, fortunately, recovers its protective chrome oxide layer as long as it is immersed in an oxygen-rich environment, like air or MOVING water.

STAGNANT chlorinated water, likely to be found around screws holding deck fittings, especially if you clean your deck with chlorine based products, is essentially oxygen-deprived and then, with chlorine and without oxygen, stainless steel becomes just plain steel alloy, it is "active" and therefore, rusts.

2. (byo.com – a website for home brewers)

The major downside to chlorinated cleaners is that chlorine can corrode stainless steel when the pH of the chlorinated solution is low (or acidic).

3. (animalshelter.org)

Whenever bleach is used—whether you pour it into a large drum for food-bowl or litter-box cleaning, or whether you add it to laundry loads—mix the solution at a ratio of 1 part bleach to 32 parts water. Avoid the temptation to treat a problem with straight bleach or with a bleach solution that is stronger than 1:32; more is definitely not better. (If you are using the relatively new, more concentrated Ultra Clorox product, dilution should be one part bleach to 43 parts water.) Even diluted, bleach corrodes surfaces and irritates both animal and human noses.

The water in every spa circulates when the spa is being used and when it filters ( and circulates constantly if the spa has a 24/7 circ pump) and, added at a rate of about 1/2 cup to 300 gallons of water, is VERY diluted. Plus, spa owners should be monitoring their pH to make sure it doesn't get too low. Based on this info., I would not be concerned about stainless jets corroding.

Sandi

The stainless steel are just covers anyway. The jets themselves are all plastic. I, too, like the stainless look.

I would not be concerned about bleach corroding stainless anymore than any other chlorine. If you maintian your chemistry, you should be fine.

The stainless steel are just covers anyway. The jets themselves are all plastic. I, too, like the stainless look.

I would not be concerned about bleach corroding stainless anymore than any other chlorine. If you maintian your chemistry, you should be fine.

We have the "chrome" covers, but I don't know that they're really chrome. I do like the look. Especially when the lights are on in the tub at night, it reflects off the chrome and really looks cool!

Anne

The water in every spa circulates when the spa is being used and when it filters ( and circulates constantly if the spa has a 24/7 circ pump) and, added at a rate of about 1/2 cup to 300 gallons of water, is VERY diluted. Plus, spa owners should be monitoring their pH to make sure it doesn't get too low. Based on this info., I would not be concerned about stainless jets corroding.

Sandi

Well thank you for informing me better.I am about a week from reciving my new tub and was a bit concerned cause i too ordered stainless jets. To me the stainless jets help make your tub look luxurious, and with what tubs cost i want some bling baby. all my serching i heard nothing of stainless coroding.it may not be a real threat but its good to know it could happen if my levels arnt monitored ,and that my circ pump will help prevent it too.