Jacuzzi J-480 Cover Question

MunnyGuy

Hey All!

I got my Jacuzzi late last year and kept it open during the winter. When I would go to clear it off it would always have a covering of slushy ice on the cover (beneath fresh snow). In the process of removing this stuff I punctured the cover and bag surrounding the foam core insulation. The cover got completely waterlogged and was not emptied until spring. My local dealer said that the cover's foam is so dense that even if i laid it out all summer it probably would not dry out and would not retain it's insulation properties. My dealer quoted me $599 for a replacement cover and stated it would take about 4 weeks to get. He also stated there were no aftermarket alternatives as the J-480 has the sweepting back where the waterfall is. My questions:

1- Is this true? Is there no aftermarket alternative? Is the price quoted fair?

2- Any tips on how to extend the life of the new cover when i get it? I am considering adding a large tarp on top to take most of the abuse of cleaning snow and ice off.

Thanks for your help.

Sonny

Call HST Synthetics in Mississauga & ask them if they can make that cover with the dimensions from your 480. They will be able to tell you if they do and recommend a dealer in your area. They also make a covercap that can go over your spa cover for the winter. I have many happy customers with them. You may need a custom size made up but its well worth it and they are inexpensive.

Here is a pic of the cover cap www.hstsynthetics.com/product1.html?id=14

Here is their # 905.670.3432

Call HST Synthetics in Mississauga & ask them if they can make that cover with the dimensions from your 480. They will be able to tell you if they do and recommend a dealer in your area. They also make a covercap that can go over your spa cover for the winter. I have many happy customers with them. You may need a custom size made up but its well worth it and they are inexpensive.

Here is a pic of the cover cap www.hstsynthetics.com/product1.html?id=14

Here is their # 905.670.3432

Thanks PF,

Just sent them an email. i will let you know.

Sonny

1- Is this true? Is there no aftermarket alternative? Is the price quoted fair?

2- Any tips on how to extend the life of the new cover when i get it? I am considering adding a large tarp on top to take most of the abuse of cleaning snow and ice off.

Speaking as someone who owns a spa cover manufacturing company...

1 - Probably. We took a pass after evaluating the cover. Too much work and specialized pieces to compete with the Jacuzzi pricepoint to its dealers. I would say that $599 is a fair price considering the design of the cover.

2 - The cover cap is a nice product as mentioned by Pathfinder.

Excuse me for butting in, but I have a related question. How does foam absorb water? They make coolers, life preservers, and all kinds of water devices out of foam, so how does it get water logged? Do they use a substandard material to keep the replacement cycle going?

If they used the same cheap white foam my cooler is made of, I can't imagine it ever absorbing water, so as long as you cared for the vinyl, it should last for years, right?

Mike, read the posts in full

In the process of removing this stuff I punctured the cover and bag surrounding the foam core insulation. The cover got completely...

Its not the foam itself that absorbs water its the tiny air gaps in the foam. Fill your cheap styro cooler partially with water & over a small amount of time your bottom will become so heavy it will tear away from the non submerged foam.