New Sundance Maxxus Pricing

HydroGuy

This is my first post here. For anyone who wonders about my "HydroGuy" screen name it happens to be what I use for all online communities because I am a fluid dynamics engineer by day. :D

I am not a spa expert or in the spa industry, but I read enough posts here to see that James is someone I want to hear from. Hope you are around!

The short story is one of our kids has a health issue that is driving us towards getting a hot tub - something I have been thinking about for several years already but have never seriously researched. We visited a local spa dealer recently from whom we bought a pool/billiards table a few years ago and had a good experience with.

We of course liked the most expensive Maxxus model best largely because of its size (we have four kids) but also because we just liked it. The floor room Maxxus model is a 2007 and we got a "ballpark quote" of $15,000 along with 10 other ballpark quotes for other models. The salesman said that since the Maxxus was a 2007 model and in stock he could make an especially good deal on it.

I have spent many hours online trying to get information and pricing comparisons and this forum seems like the best place I have found so far.

So, James or others, what price range should I be negotiating towards? Are there any other online resources I should be looking at for pricing guides?

Thanks, HydroGuy

People that own Maxxus spas have good things to say about them but one thing I have heard a few times is that for a spa that large its really designed for 4 people due to defined seating and a lounge (not counting the cool down seat). While the website and the literature may try to call it a 6-person spa it really isn't and when multiple kids are involved I think an open seated spa is a better option. I know my kids were 4, 6, 8 when we got our spa and I'm glad it was a loungeless open seated spa because they treated it more like a small pool.

I know you were asking about pricing but I had to toss that in. I'm not trying to steer you away from the Sundance brand as some try to do when someone asks a direct question about a specific spa/brand. In fact I think the smaller sized Optima, Chelsee or Hartford would be better suited for 5+ people than a Maxxus.

Just my opinion of course!!

HydroGuy,

I just purchased a 2008 Majesta. One thing that surprised me was that the Optima (one step down from the Maxxus) actually seats more people than the Maxxus. Because of the lounger in the Maxxus you won't fit as many people, unless two people want to share the lounger (uncomfortable). Just something to think about. The reason we didn't get the Optima over the Majesta was because my wife really wanted the Reflexology seat which, can you believe, is only in the Majesta - not the more expensive Optima (it is in the Maxxus of course, but we didn't want such a large tub nor the lounger). Regarding price, I didn't bother getting my dealer to quote me on the Maxxus, but I paid $9.5K for the Majesta and was told the Optima was $1K more. I would be surprised if the Maxxus was another $4K on top of that. If I had to guess, maybe $12-13K for the Maxxus, and those are 2008 prices I'm mentioning.

Good luck on your search!

Thanks for the feedback to date about size. I was trying to be as brief as possible and not bore anyone with details. We did a dry sit in a Cameo (similar size to the Optima but has a lounge) and while we liked it, we liked the deeper and larger foot space in the Maxxus as well as the longer profile. The longer and deeper profile would give our unhealthy child more space to do motion exercises which is #1 reason for buying right now. We noticed the Maxxus seating is not quite for six - only the lounge and three other jet spots. But that was not a show stopper as there is room for six if not enough jets for six. Further, our oldest is a high school senior so long term seating for six is not a priority.

Adam, the ballpark price we got for the Majesta was $9900 and Optima was $10,500, which are roughly in line with what you paid or were quoted. Thanks for that info. I would be happy if we could get this 2007 unit for under $12,000. :)

Thanks for the feedback to date about size. I was trying to be as brief as possible and not bore anyone with details. We did a dry sit in a Cameo (similar size to the Optima but has a lounge) and while we liked it, we liked the deeper and larger foot space in the Maxxus as well as the longer profile. The longer and deeper profile would give our unhealthy child more space to do motion exercises which is #1 reason for buying right now. We noticed the Maxxus seating is not quite for six - only the lounge and three other jet spots. But that was not a show stopper as there is room for six if not enough jets for six. Further, our oldest is a high school senior so long term seating for six is not a priority.

Adam, the ballpark price we got for the Majesta was $9900 and Optima was $10,500, which are roughly in line with what you paid or were quoted. Thanks for that info. I would be happy if we could get this 2007 unit for under $12,000. :)

Hi Hydroguy sorry it took me so long to respond I have been busy first chance I had to look at the forum. first if you where qouted 15k on and 07 that is to high I sell 08 with stereo for 13.5k to 14k depending on options and there where some changes made from 07 to 08 you might want to consider we can do this a couple different ways you can call me if you want if you email me i will give you my number or we can talk thru this forum just some times i get busy and cant respond for awhile just let me know i will keep and eye on the forum every chance i get my email is premierhottubs@etcmail.com talk to you soon.

Hi Hydroguy sorry it took me so long to respond I have been busy first chance I had to look at the forum. first if you where qouted 15k on and 07 that is to high I sell 08 with stereo for 13.5k to 14k depending on options and there where some changes made from 07 to 08 you might want to consider we can do this a couple different ways you can call me if you want if you email me i will give you my number or we can talk thru this forum just some times i get busy and cant respond for awhile just let me know i will keep and eye on the forum every chance i get my email is premierhottubs@etcmail.com talk to you soon.
Thanks James. I sent you an e-mail direct. The 07 model we saw did have a sound system. But you gave me some good info here. Anything else would be great. : :D

HydroGuy,

Per your point about your child benefiting from more room to move around freely, then the Maxxus is the way to go. When my wife and I wet tested the Maxxus our first impression was "this would make for a small pool for our kids!" Of course, we're not buying a spa for the kids to splash around in, so back to the smaller size. But yeah, the Maxxus is a great tub. All the features are great. I see no reason why that dealer couldn't sell you the 07 model for $11 to 12K - after all, wouldn't he want to get this thing off his books and out of his show room - he's had it for almost 2 years now.

This is FYI. The dealer offered a lower price of $13.2k for the 2007 Maxxus w/ stereo. I counter-offered $12k and they would not budge. So we paid the $13.2k if they would add a gas-lift spa cover.

I also talked on the phone with James the Hot Tub Guy in Georgia who was very helpful. I highly recommend James' company for anyone in the Southeast. He was very knowledgable.

We should take delivery on Thursday. Thanks for everyone's input.

Congratulations! I'm sure you will be happy with your Maxxus.

Do you already have the electrical and base installed?

No, we are working on that now. The concrete pad adjacent to our deck will be poured Tuesday, and electrical will be installed Wednesday. :D

just a reminder Hydro guy that spa requires a 60 amp service not at 50.

Congratulations! I'm sure you will be happy with your Maxxus.

Do you already have the electrical and base installed?

No, we are working on that now. The concrete pad adjacent to our deck will be poured Tuesday, and electrical will be installed Wednesday. :D

just a reminder Hydro guy that spa requires a 60 amp service not at 50.

Not totally true!! I have a 07 Maxxus which I bought for 10,888. This had no stereo but had steps and the cover caddy thing. It requires 60 amps to run all threee blower, the heater and air blower at the same time. I have mine hooked up to 50 amp service all last winter. You can only run one pump and the heat at any given time or all three pumps and no heat. In 10 degree cold with all threee pumps running, i only would see a 2 degree at most temp drop in 20 minutes. I figures I would try it with the 50 I had already wired to the location rather than flip for the bigger wire. I am not going to wire for 60 after the results. Nice spa!!