Fair Price For A Used 2006 Hotspring Vanguard?

Warp9

My wife and are are just beginning our hot tub shopping. This forum is a great resource, BTW.

We're currently leaning towards a HotSpring spa, and I've come across a used 2006 Vanguard model. A new one from our local dealer goes for roughly $9000 (but I haven't negotiated on this yet, and suspect it would come down, perhaps as much as $900 or so based on what others have paid).

I expect a used model should be substantially cheaper. How much do spas depreciate in 2 years? Would $5000 be a reasonable price for a used 2006 Vanguard in good shape?

Also, will the remainder of the warranty transfer? Or is the warranty only good for the original owner? The way I read the warranty language, it's not transferrable. Does this seem correct?

I'm also interested in hearing any feedback on the Vanguard or similar Hotspring spas. Everything I've read indicates they are top-notch spas. Are the moto-massage jets reliable, or can they break or get "stuck"? Is the HotSpring electricity guarantee a real indicator that their tubs are more efficient and better insulated? Or is this primarily a sales gimmick, with other manufacturers providing similar efficiency?

Thanks for any insights any of you are able to provide.

Hi,

Having owned a new HS Vanguard for only a few weeks, I can't speak for the long term aspects of the tub, but can share a few thoughts...

First, I think you are correct that the warranty does not transfer from HS, that is true with most tubs. But if you are purchasing from a dealer, I would think, he should give you some kind of warranty in it's place, at least 90 days or so....

You are correct, $9k is on the high side for that tub new, don't be afraid to price compare and negotiate. While I feel HS tubs hold there value as good or better as any tub out there, $5k seems on the high side, too, but I am just guessing on that. There are some knowledgeable dealers out there who can give you a more informed thought on this.

WET TEST! If that tub is not wet, there are many HS dealers that have that model and many others brands for you to try. You will not know if a tub is right for you at all, till you wet test. Don't be embarrassed or shy. At first my wife was nervous, but after the first few tubs, she loved trying them all! Found out the tubs we thought we liked dry we ended up hating, and vice a versa. Whats right for me may not be for you. Everyone on this forum will agree with wet testing any tub first.

I had some concerns about the Moto massages too, but have found almost nothing about them causing any problems over the long term, and have been around a long time, so I don't think that should scare you away. I can say that I absolutely love them, and to me, make the tub stand out from all others I tested (again my opinion, others opinions will vary!). Having both a single and a dual moto massage is great. They give a completely different type of massage, and having the variety is a huge plus for us.

My tub has been absolutely perfect so far, not a single glitch. Seems like a quality product all the way, even though I think you will find that with most high end tubs.

Not sure if the electricity thing is a gimmick or not, and I have not had my tub long enough to get any readings yet, but I have a few friends that have had good results with HS tubs and low power usage, but again, any well insulated tub with quality components should give similar results.

Good luck.

PM me if you want more info...

Thanks, Randy

My wife and are are just beginning our hot tub shopping. This forum is a great resource, BTW.

We're currently leaning towards a HotSpring spa, and I've come across a used 2006 Vanguard model. A new one from our local dealer goes for roughly $9000 (but I haven't negotiated on this yet, and suspect it would come down, perhaps as much as $900 or so based on what others have paid).

I expect a used model should be substantially cheaper. How much do spas depreciate in 2 years? Would $5000 be a reasonable price for a used 2006 Vanguard in good shape?

Also, will the remainder of the warranty transfer? Or is the warranty only good for the original owner? The way I read the warranty language, it's not transferrable. Does this seem correct?

I'm also interested in hearing any feedback on the Vanguard or similar Hotspring spas. Everything I've read indicates they are top-notch spas. Are the moto-massage jets reliable, or can they break or get "stuck"? Is the HotSpring electricity guarantee a real indicator that their tubs are more efficient and better insulated? Or is this primarily a sales gimmick, with other manufacturers providing similar efficiency?

Thanks for any insights any of you are able to provide.

My wife and I bought a used 2005 model Caldera Kauai. It is made by Watkins, the same company that makes HotSpring spas.

The spa didn't come with the unusual Watkins sub panel with two GFCI breakers, so I had to track down the parts and build one myself. Even then, we paid $2200.00 total for the spa, that included delivery.

The local dealer quoted $7000.00 for a new Caldera Kauai.

We haven't had any problems with our spa and are very happy with it.

Dave

Randy and Dave, thank you both for your replies.

We will definitely wet test before we buy anything. I'm not going to drop between $5-10k (includes electrical hookups and other site prep) on a product I haven't tested. We're just starting our research, and we also have to make sure we have a good spot to put a tub, so it could be a while before we buy. I expect to start wet testing sometime in September.

I'm in a very cold climate (North Dakota), so insulation and efficiency is a primary consideration. HotSpring and Caldera both seem like good candidates, and I have local dealers for both. Other brands we've looked at so far are Dimension One, CalSpas, and Sundance.

The used Vanguard that I'm looking at is actually for sale by a private party who indicated that "according to the dealer", the warranty should transfer (but I'm extremely skeptical about this). I would also assume that I'd have to handle the delivery and installation myself, which is an added cost/hassle, so I imagine the price is very negotiable, and tend to think $5000 is on the high side. The Moto Massage jets in the HotSpring spas look very intriguing, and are one of the features keeping me interested in the Vanguard. We will, of course, wet test to make sure we like these jets and the rest of the features in the tub.

Are there any other HotSpring owners out there who can chime in on the Moto Massage jets and their reliability and your overall happiness with them?

Are there any other HotSpring owners out there who can chime in on the Moto Massage jets and their reliability and your overall happiness with them?

Our Vanguard is about 1 year old now and we love it and use it every day. The spa is simple to operate and to take care of. The MotoMassage is great. We paid 8000 in October of 07.