Shopping For New Filter/pump/motor Combo

mninpa

We have a 33'x18' oval pool that holds about 14,000 gallons. Our 1hp motor is on its way out (lots of screeching) and we have found this older (age unknown) D.E. filter to be a pain to maintain and use. Where should we start? I have one place recommending a Micromatic filter - which sounds kind of like a sand filter, but everywhere I look D.E. filters seem to be prefered.

So my questions are - what size pump/motor should be sufficient without being overly expensive to operate and what size and type of filter would be best? How much (in southeastern PA) should we expect to budget for this? We also have a Hayward chorinator that we'd like to keep, so I assume they are compatible with all filters. At this point, I run the filter 6 hours per day in the morning and the water is clear, but the screeching has brought worried neighbors by...

Thank you in advance!

Megan in PA

We have a 33'x18' oval pool that holds about 14,000 gallons. Our 1hp motor is on its way out (lots of screeching) and we have found this older (age unknown) D.E. filter to be a pain to maintain and use. Where should we start? I have one place recommending a Micromatic filter - which sounds kind of like a sand filter, but everywhere I look D.E. filters seem to be prefered.

So my questions are - what size pump/motor should be sufficient without being overly expensive to operate and what size and type of filter would be best? How much (in southeastern PA) should we expect to budget for this? We also have a Hayward chorinator that we'd like to keep, so I assume they are compatible with all filters. At this point, I run the filter 6 hours per day in the morning and the water is clear, but the screeching has brought worried neighbors by...

Thank you in advance!

Megan in PA

Well since things are a bit slow in this forum, I'll toss in my 2 cents.

first, I'd go with what the dealer or what your local trusted supply guy recomends.

I have a 12000 Above ground and use my pool from June-Sept and then it's closed up for the long and cold winter. :( For the most part, it's just me and my wife using the pool, and it never really get's clobbered with a ton of swimmers.

My 1 hp pump works just great. Anything over 1.5 in my opinon would be over kill. You want to ensure good circulation. I would not consider anything less than 1 hp, imho.

I have a sand filter for the past 7 years and I am happy as pie with it. About every 4 years or so I change the sand out. ($25). Other than a weekly backwash there is no maitience. I have friends who swear by the DE filters. They will filter better, but as you found out, just a bit more maitenance. I personaly think the differences are miniscule. If you are *** about water, or it gets used alot, then maybe a DE is the right set up. If not, my personal choice is sand.

Thanks for that advice

Our favorite pool place is all into the micromatic (lava 'dust') filter, but the shop that is closer (and therefore also used often for chemicals, etc.) swears by the DE filters. We're not going with anything over 1hp as well (that's what we have now). It looks like my husband has decided on the DE because it is much easier to maintain than the old one - and we've had good experience with the water quality. The store also says the whole filter can be left outside all winter (cleaned and dried of course). Does that sound right? It's a Sta-rite complete system (filter, motor, pump) for about $470. I've tried to shop around online for it, but can't find those complete systems - only the different components.

Megan

Thanks for that advice

Our favorite pool place is all into the micromatic (lava 'dust') filter, but the shop that is closer (and therefore also used often for chemicals, etc.) swears by the DE filters. We're not going with anything over 1hp as well (that's what we have now). It looks like my husband has decided on the DE because it is much easier to maintain than the old one - and we've had good experience with the water quality. The store also says the whole filter can be left outside all winter (cleaned and dried of course). Does that sound right? It's a Sta-rite complete system (filter, motor, pump) for about $470. I've tried to shop around online for it, but can't find those complete systems - only the different components.

Megan

Hey Megan,

A quality unit, regardless if it's Sand. or DE can work, and is more a personal choice. There is no doubt that the DE works well, and since you have experince with it, you know the program. Sure, you can leave the filter unit outside, just make sure to open any drain valves.

I leave my pump outside too ( I am told I shouldn't, but I do. I open all the drains plugs as well) The pool guys said I should put it in my shed. Why? It's just as likely to freeze in there. Am I missing something?

Starite makes a very good pump. And although I haven't shopped around, $470 sounds right for the whole package.

Google "Star Rite DE filter" and you'll find many on line stores selling them. You can compare prices, and models. I prefer supporting your local dealer, unless the online stores are significanltyless (and don't forget the price to ship).

Good luck!

Well since things are a bit slow in this forum, I'll toss in my 2 cents.

first, I'd go with what the dealer or what your local trusted supply guy recomends.

I have a 12000 Above ground and use my pool from June-Sept and then it's closed up for the long and cold winter. :( For the most part, it's just me and my wife using the pool, and it never really get's clobbered with a ton of swimmers.

My 1 hp pump works just great. Anything over 1.5 in my opinon would be over kill. You want to ensure good circulation. I would not consider anything less than 1 hp, imho.

I have a sand filter for the past 7 years and I am happy as pie with it. About every 4 years or so I change the sand out. ($25). Other than a weekly backwash there is no maitience. I have friends who swear by the DE filters. They will filter better, but as you found out, just a bit more maitenance. I personaly think the differences are miniscule. If you are *** about water, or it gets used alot, then maybe a DE is the right set up. If not, my personal choice is sand.

Good advice, Trigger. :)

The sand filter is adequate and a lot easier to deal with. 1 HP is just right for an average above ground pool. If the pool is set up correctly, you can get a rotation of the whole pool by using the earth's rotation. The same direction as the sink drain. That is how I used to set them up. It was sort of like watching a merry go round with the floating things, blow up toys, balls, ducks, etc. spinning in a circle. :)