Identify Part

Linh Tran

I am a first time pool owner and just joint the forum. I just bought the house.

1) Can you help me figure out what is the big circular tank in the picture. I know one of them is the filter, but dont know what is the other.

2) I want to convert this unit to a salt water system, can i just replace the existing chlorine feeder with the new one?

3) what is the purpose of 2 pump?

4) do you see any necessity peices of equipment i need to add or change out?

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

I am a first time pool owner and just joint the forum.

1) Can you help me figure out what is the big circular tank in the picture. I know one of them is the filter, but dont know what is the other.

2) I want to convert this unit to a salt water system, can i just replace the existing chlorine feeder with the new one?

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

In the second pic that is a Hayward DE filter. Is it plumbed to anything?.

To change to salt remove the old Chlorine feeder and install the cell there sine the pipes will be cut already

I am a first time pool owner and just joint the forum.

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

In the second pic that is a Hayward DE filter. Is it plumbed to anything?.

To change to salt remove the old Chlorine feeder and install the cell there sine the pipes will be cut already

The Smaller Object is the inline chlorinator, The bigger one is the filter.

To convert to salt water, you need to get the cell, and have an electrician wire it in to your power board.

what is the purpose of the 2nd pump?

i dont see another pump, but if you have two, do you have a water feature (waterfall, fountain or similar), or a spa?

i see it now, i didnt see that last picture. but, same questions as previously mentioned.

Doesn't appear that the second (DE) filter is plumbed. I'm guessing the DE filter crapped out, the prior owner decided to replace w/ your current filter (appears to be a sand filter), but never bothered to dispose of the bad DE filter.

Replacing the inline chlorinator w/ a SWG should be straightforward. For what it's worth, I love my SWG, no issues at all, pool (new last September) has been crystal clear and stable since opening in mid-April (only because I consulted this forum and learned everything I could re: pool water chemistry generally, and pool water chemistry for pools w/ SWG's specifically. So read up!

The second pump looks like a booster pump for a polaris. The pipes going to and from it seem to have been reduced down to 3/4" fittings on the pump. Do you have a robotic sweeper in the pool?

how would i check to see if there's a robotic sweeper?

Is it inside the pool itself?...or is it connect directly to the 2nd pump?

There are other NO OTHER water feature such as spa or waterfall....pool only.

The second pump looks like a booster pump for a polaris. The pipes going to and from it seem to have been reduced down to 3/4" fittings on the pump. Do you have a robotic sweeper in the pool?

how would i check to see if there's a robotic sweeper?

Is it inside the pool itself?...or is it connect directly to the 2nd pump?

There are other NO OTHER water feature such as spa or waterfall....pool only.

The seperate pump under the chlorinator is a booster pump for a pool cleaner. It should be a return line in the middle of the pool that a cleaner can be attached.

Run the main filter pump and check with your hand the pressure of water returning to the pool. After that turn on the booster pump and check again. Water pressure will be stronger at one fitting with the booster pump running, this is were the cleaner will go. Never run the booster pump without the main filter pump running. A Polaris 280 or 380 is a cleaner that needs a booster pump. Hayward and Pentair makes cleaners as well

ps558

thanks you so much for explaining where everything goes. I do appreciate the help from this forum. I will buy the Polaris 280 since it is highly recomended from this forum.

Is is ok to have the booster pump running at the same time the main pump?....or only turn it on for pool cleaner?

Is this filter DE or sand....Purex Triton nautilus FNS?

Yes - run the booster pump while the main pump is running in filter mode. I have a Polaris 380 and that's all I use to clean my pool - couldn't imgine having to hand vac! :) The place to plug in the pool cleaner is actually inside the pool beneath the water line.

ps558

thanks you so much for explaining where everything goes. I do appreciate the help from this forum. I will buy the Polaris 280 since it is highly recomended from this forum.....

IIRC, the Polaris 280 runs off of the regular filter pump pressure. The 380 works with the booster pump. Since you already have the pump I think you will want the 380. Verifiy with your dealer, just did not want you to go in and ask for a 280 if it won't work with your pump.