New Plumbing Test, What's A Leak?

bcatv

Building a new pool with lots of plumbing due to size and in-floor cleaner, and wondering what typical pressure leakdown during test is. Plumber pressurized to 20psi Thursday afternoon, 48 hours later one pump/cleaner set is down to 10psi, the other is at 16psi. 3 Pentair valves on the lower set, 2 on the higher, 2 Paramount cleaner valves on the higher psi side, 1 on the lower, an Intelliflo pump and a C&C+420 on each set.

Does this seem like normal levels of leakdown?

thanks,

Vince

Vince, You should not loose any pressure when pressure testing. Having said that, I do believe you might get some loss thru the pumps especially. When pressure testing, its best to pressure test the plumbing only. typically I test the plumbing before the equipment is even set. If it is a remodel, I just cut into the plumbing and hook up my stand pipe to test the underground plumbing. You can include the Paramount valve, It shouldnt leak.

Thanks PC, I'm a little concerned; there are several valves, pumps and filters involved, so could have some shaft leakage. I also should have made clear that this is air-only, there is no water in the plumbing as yet. Given the mass of pipe involved, would hate to have to find a small leak, but better now while the trenches are still open...

thanks,

Vince

Yea, some builders do that, and I bet they will say " oh that's ok." I don't agree with that way of doing pressure testing. If you pump it it up and it leaks down, "It's going somewhere". Heres another bit of info you'll hate. PVC pipe with regard to cracks will not always "and probably never do" leak down to zero!