Spaguard "enhanced Shock"

Vermonter

Hey all... well, I accidentally picked up this product the other day thinking (assuming?) it was MPS... it is not. It is 58.2% Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, and 41.8% "other ingredients." Reading the back of the container (which of course, I do once I'm home and ready to use the stuff), it says it "enhances water comfort and stabilizes pH. Special ingredients aid the filter in removing small suspended particles to further enhance water clarity." I'm not real fond or trusting of "wonder treatments," especially after my last run-in with pH stabilizer, which precipitated all of my Ca. My question is, basically, is anyone familiar with this product? Should I trust it or just bring it back for something else, and just use plain bleach to shock until then? Thanks!!

Tony

Tony,

Unfortunately I can't answer your question.

In my other post I mentioned that I had a few more questions in due time and this topic of your lends itself to one of those questions perfectly. I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back a question in this thread.

The question would be: Can I use Spaguard Enhanced Spa Shock in place of Dichlor? It appears if I about double the amount it would make up for the lower sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione level. I am afraid the 'other ingredients' might cause problems.

Why doesn't he just use Dichlor you ask? I have lots of the other stuff is why. I wish that I had found this forum first!

Max

Spa Guard Enhanced Shock is actually a pretty good product. It is half dichlor and half MPS. Some use it after soaking, others as a weekly shock. Your purchase certainly will not go to waste.

Allright then, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Tony

The MSDS for SpaGuard OXIDIZER Enhanced Shock is here and indicates 58.2% Dichlor. The SpaGuard website here indicates that this is a combination of Dichlor, non-chlorine shock (probably MPS), a flocculant/clarifier and a pH buffer (probably borates though could be phosphates).

• 3 months later...

First of all I'd like to say I appreciate all the info shared on this forum. As a new tub owner there is always something to learn.

My dealer recommended the use of SpaGuard Enhanced Shock daily (2tsp) before or after a soak. I'm using a silver ion cartridge and have a CD Ozone system. The Enhanced Shock contains chlorine (~58%) and a shock (MPS?) so in a way it sounds like the best of both worlds; shock to work ahead of the chlorine and the chlorine as a santizer. The cost compared to straight Dichlor is slightly less. So it seems to make sense to me but with all this other information out there maybe some has a comment or advice.

Thanks in advance.

I would be careful in your case due to the PH buffers. If my memory serves me right, you had major issues with a PH balance/buffering product before due to your well water.

• 4 weeks later...

Like a similar posting here, I use the Sunpurity (same as N2) Silver Ion cartridges and my dealer has had me on Enhanced Shock with it for over 2 years, then testing MPS levels with test strips. But it seemed so strange to me that if it had MPS in it, why would they NOT state this (not even listed in the MSDS). So I called Spaguard and asked, a customer service guy (Scott) told me clearly that Enhanced Shock does NOT have MPS in it! Wow, that means that myself and others are under the wrong assumption. With the Silver Ion system, it clearly says to use a non-chlorine oxidizer (MPS) and so we should be using a different product completely (Spa Shock) with only a slight use of Dichlor or a Chlorine concentrate.

I don't think there is any harm done, but I think I have not had the advantage of a low chlorine system (that was the intent), and I think I have used way too much chemical to keep the MPS levels high enough on the test strip (not even sure why the dichlor did seem to affect it, maybe an indirect correlation).

By the way, the other ingredients in Enhanced Shock such as stabilizers seem to be either related to the Sun affecting the chlorine (not relevant to a mostly covered hot tub), and the pH levels (seems redundant when using a balancer), so I am not really certain the purpose except to initialize the Silver Ion cartridge and to use if there are real problems with sanitization.

Hope this helps.

Funny, I just tried the link Richard had, seems as if Spa Guard changed their description. It seems to be just plain old stabilized chlorine (dy-chlor) and the regular shock is MPS.....

Very interesting........

Funny, I just tried the link Richard had, seems as if Spa Guard changed their description. It seems to be just plain old stabilized chlorine (dy-chlor) and the regular shock is MPS.....

Very interesting........

The information I find describes it as combination of dichlor, non chlorine shock, flocculant/clarifier and buffers with dichlor making up 58.2% of the product.

The link I had to the SpaGuard website in my earlier post has gone bad, but this one seems current. It has been reworded so is much less clear as to what it contains. Tony's description is consistent with what the earlier SpaGuard link used to say.