Polaris Vacuum

wrabon

I have a Polaris in pool vacuum - the kind you plug into the pool. It has it's own separate pump that you switch on, causing the Polaris to move about the bottom of the pool vacuuming up waste.

Okay - here's my problem.

When I plug it in, it goes in as it should. However, when I turn the switch on, the plug partially pops back out, causing a whistling noise and causing the Polaris not to move around b/c it's losing suction. My husband thinks its the rubber o-ring right on the end of the plug that's causing it to lose suction (maybe due to wear, hot/cold, etc.) It's three years old. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem. And if so, if it's simple to fix by just replacing the o-ring OR if it's a bigger problem.

I haven't contacted Polaris yet b/c the wait time on the phone is so long. If anyone is familiar with this, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks! :)

I have a Polaris in pool vacuum - the kind you plug into the pool. It has it's own separate pump that you switch on, causing the Polaris to move about the bottom of the pool vacuuming up waste.

Okay - here's my problem.

When I plug it in, it goes in as it should. However, when I turn the switch on, the plug partially pops back out, causing a whistling noise and causing the Polaris not to move around b/c it's losing suction. My husband thinks its the rubber o-ring right on the end of the plug that's causing it to lose suction (maybe due to wear, hot/cold, etc.) It's three years old. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem. And if so, if it's simple to fix by just replacing the o-ring OR if it's a bigger problem.

I haven't contacted Polaris yet b/c the wait time on the phone is so long. If anyone is familiar with this, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks! :)

Do you mean the plug that goes into the pool wall for the cleaner or some plug over at the booster pump.

Check the filter screen in the hose. Make sure not all the water is not coming out the pressure release at the pool wall fitting.

If the pump is not leaking water the seal should be ok or there is impeller problem. Make sure the pool filter has good pressure since the cleaner pump uses the returning water to the pool and just a reminder never run the cleaner pump without the pool pump running

The plug that actually goes into the pool is trying to come out when I turn the booster pump switch on. I haven't checked anything at the booster pump. I always run the regular pump filet when I run the polaris. How do I make sure not all the water is not coming out the pressure release at the pool wall fitting?

So you don't think replacing the o-ring would solve the problem??

I'll get my husband to check the pump to see if water is coming out. Bare with me, I'm female, but I'm the one who handles all the pool stuff

The plug that actually goes into the pool is trying to come out when I turn the booster pump switch on. I haven't checked anything at the booster pump. I always run the regular pump filet when I run the polaris. How do I make sure not all the water is not coming out the pressure release at the pool wall fitting?

So you don't think replacing the o-ring would solve the problem??

I'll get my husband to check the pump to see if water is coming out. Bare with me, I'm female, but I'm the one who handles all the pool stuff

There is a knob on the fitting that releases pressure if needed, some water always comes out but if the spring is broke all the water comes out. I would replace the whole fitting that conects to the pool wall

That sounds like it may be the problem. I'll check it this afternoon. Are you talking about the fitting that is actually attached to the Polaris hose that you plug into the pool wall or the hole in the pool wall it plugs into? If it's the one on the Polaris hose, does it have to be ordered from Polaris or can I find it somewhere else? (keeping in mind I don't live near a pool store) :)

Thanks so much!! :)

That sounds like it may be the problem. I'll check it this afternoon. Are you talking about the fitting that is actually attached to the Polaris hose that you plug into the pool wall or the hole in the pool wall it plugs into? If it's the one on the Polaris hose, does it have to be ordered from Polaris or can I find it somewhere else? (keeping in mind I don't live near a pool store) :)

Thanks so much!! :)

Yes the fitting that goes to the polaris cleaner line. Any Polaris dealer should have one.

The part number is 9-100-90 Here is a link to a diagram of Polaris 380 parts. If you have a 280 it still the same part

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_cleaners_p...rts_diagram.htm

I've ordered the pressure relief valve, quick disconnect, and oring. Should I have ordered anything else??

No start with these parts first. After you get them installed, mark one of the cleaners wheels and turn it on. Them pull to the surface of the water Not out of the water, and in 1 min time the wheels should spin 28-32 PRM. This verify correct water pressure for the cleaner

Okay - my parts came in. Now my question is. . . . what's teh easiest way to ge the quick disconnect back onto the hose. I mean we can get it in the hose, but the hose nut is just too difficult to get back over the lip of the quick disconnect. Is there a trick to this or do we just need to keep trying to work it in? It's part 47 on the diagram. We just can't get the darn thing to screw back on - tight fit!

Okay - my parts came in. Now my question is. . . . what's teh easiest way to ge the quick disconnect back onto the hose. I mean we can get it in the hose, but the hose nut is just too difficult to get back over the lip of the quick disconnect. Is there a trick to this or do we just need to keep trying to work it in? It's part 47 on the diagram. We just can't get the darn thing to screw back on - tight fit!

Not sure I get it, but I have changed this part so I will give it a swing....

You put the nut on the quick disconnect nipple before you put the hose on the nipple. Make sure that the open side of the nut is facing out (to the hose). It should just slide over the edge of the hose and screw on till it is tight....

Hope I am not missing something.....

Good luck.

I replaced the quick disconnect (whole part). Now when I plug it in, it's not even catching into the plug that's mounted inside the pool. Usually when I plug it in and twist it, it locks. Now it doesn't even lock-just keeps turning.

So my question is, was my problem likely the universal wall fitting itself? If so, how do we get that thing out of the pool? Will it just unscrew or do we have to completely remove the whole part from the wall? (It seems that would require removing water from the pool.) Anyone know?? If it's the wall fitting and it will unscrew (which we've tried and it didn't want to move) we'll do it ourselves. If it's going to require draining, we're going to contact a professional.

Let me know what you think???

I have changed that too... :rolleyes:

It screws in. If you put on your swim goggles and look into the opening, you will notice there is a rectangular slot inside of it. I found I could put a pair of plyers inside that slot and unscrew it. Mine was tight, but once it started turning it came right out.

Good luck.

Does it sound like this will fix my problem??

Is this common? My Polaris is 3 years old, and I run it often. Is it a matter of wearing out the groves of where the plug goes in and locks? Just wondering for future reference. Thanks a lot! :)

Does it sound like this will fix my problem??

Is this common? My Polaris is 3 years old, and I run it often. Is it a matter of wearing out the groves of where the plug goes in and locks? Just wondering for future reference. Thanks a lot! :)

I have replaced the male part 3 times, and the female part 1 time (or was it twice?). Anyway, I bet it is comon since there is a fair bit of wear on these parts with the movement of the hose.