Filter Question-- Compatibility

Markasey

I just bought a new filter based on what my pool guy told me to get. He said I need a 65sf D.E. filter and to try to get a Hayward. So I bought one...a (http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment/Filters-and-Pumps-for-In-Ground-Pools/Hayward-Extended-Cycle-DE-Pool-Filters-in-ground-pools) Hayward Ext. Cycle D.E. EC65</a>

but now he's telling me that one won't work. He's saying it's a "cartridge" filter and that cartridge filters are not D.E. Can anyone tell me if they think a filter like this should work with an approx. 30K gallon built-in pool? Everything I've read about it seems to match up to what i have. I don't know if he is just not familiar with this filter and wants another one he can buy for $200 or what. I'm lost. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Also- I just spoke with a guy at a pool store near me and he said EC65's are for above ground pools. Has anyone heard that before?

Thanks

Mark

I just bought a new filter based on what my pool guy told me to get. He said I need a 65sf D.E. filter and to try to get a Hayward. So I bought one...a (http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment/Filters-and-Pumps-for-In-Ground-Pools/Hayward-Extended-Cycle-DE-Pool-Filters-in-ground-pools) Hayward Ext. Cycle D.E. E65</a>

but now he's telling me that one won't work. He's saying it's a "cartridge" filter and that cartridge filters are not D.E. Can anyone tell me if they think a filter like this should work with an approx. 30K gallon built-in pool? Everything I've read about it seems to match up to what i have. I don't know if he is just not familiar with this filter and wants another one he can buy for $200 or what. I'm lost. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

The hayward EC 65 is a DE filter and is rated at 25,920 gallon of water in a 8 hour time. Which means in a 8 hours it can filter 25.920 gallons of water. If you run it for 10 hours it is 32,400 gallons. This filter will work with your pool.

It sounds to me he wanted you to buy a cartridge filter but said DE instead. DE filters are the best filters availble and the EC65 is Haywards time tested filter

I just bought a new filter based on what my pool guy told me to get. He said I need a 65sf D.E. filter and to try to get a Hayward. So I bought one...a (http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment/Filters-and-Pumps-for-In-Ground-Pools/Hayward-Extended-Cycle-DE-Pool-Filters-in-ground-pools) Hayward Ext. Cycle D.E. E65</a>

Thanks

Mark

The hayward EC 65 is a DE filter and is rated at 25,920 gallon of water in a 8 hour time. Which means in a 8 hours it can filter 25.920 gallons of water. If you run it for 10 hours it is 32,400 gallons. This filter will work with your pool.

It sounds to me he wanted you to buy a cartridge filter but said DE instead. DE filters are the best filters availble and the EC65 is Haywards time tested filter

Thanks for the quick reply. He did want me to buy a DE, but he's saying the one I received is a cartridge and that cartridge filters cannot be D.E. filters. I think he's just not familiar with this model. I don't know what to believe. I really don't want to return this if I don't have to-- I'll lose about $100 in shipping.

The EC65 is NOT a cartridge filter. A cartridge filter is taken out of the cannister and hosed off. The EC65 has a backwash valve at the back of the filter that has to be opened when backwashing. The EC65 is probably a 25 year old design and in my opinion still one of the best filters on the market.